SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Solo a Star Wars Story review... No spoilers yet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solo a Star Wars Story review... No spoilers yet Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Saw it tonight. I thought it was really good. It was Star Wars.

Some humor but nothing like that abomination Last Jedi. The actor playing Han isn't the best actor around but it was all well done. If you are a purist, this does do away with established Solo backstory in the EU.

My verdict, a very good star wars flick, very enjoyable. The 3D didn't add much

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Very Late showing of Solo....

MUCH better! Without giving anything away. Cast was great... even Woody Harleson (who sticks out a bit too much for my taste).

Funny, entertaining. Alden Ehrenreich does as good of a job as humanly possible recreating Han, but could have done without L3. The character just felt forced (no pun). Story was great and excellent references to the previous films ... INFINITELY better than that abomination called TLJ...

It's dark like Rogue One, but not as kid friendly as TFA. Out of all the new films outside the original 3, this would be my 2nd favorite.

Will definitely take the kids and see it again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
apparently when they got Ron Howard involved - he re-shot / re-did like 75-80% of the film

must have worked because the 'insider reviews' originally were pretty bad

will check it out at some point

I liked Rogue One way more than I thought i would

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Very Late showing of Solo....

MUCH better! Without giving anything away. Cast was great... even Woody Harleson (who sticks out a bit too much for my taste).

Funny, entertaining. Alden Ehrenreich does as good of a job as humanly possible recreating Han, but could have done without L3. The character just felt forced (no pun). Story was great and excellent references to the previous films ... INFINITELY better than that abomination called TLJ...

It's dark like Rogue One, but not as kid friendly as TFA. Out of all the new films outside the original 3, this would be my 2nd favorite.

Will definitely take the kids and see it again.

I didn't mind L3, it wasn't overdone, so it was fine.

Woody Harrelson is one of those actors who is always just themselves, you never quite lose yourself in their acting enough to forget it's Woody but he does a good job.

For those worried about the Lando being "pansexual" thing, and I was, dont. There really isn't anything about it, just Lando being suave Mr. Colt .45 malt liquor as you would expect from a young Lando.

Qira is looking good, but then I could watch Emilia Clarke read the phone book.

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t going to see this in the theater. But everyone I know that went and saw it last night really liked it. FWIW, all of these people universally loved Rogue One and hated TLJ.

Hearing how favorably they viewed this one, I’m going to take my wife to see it tonight.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It was good. Not great, but good means a lot compared with the last couple outings. I could really feel Ron Howard's hand in pulling it all together. When he first went in, he must have said something like, "Are you kidding me? This is what I'm working with?"

Still not happy with the parsecs thing, by the way.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It was....alright

Which, considering the flaming seething hatred I feel for the last jedi, is a huge improvement

I thought the story was very disjointed in the beginning but smoothed out about 1/4 of the way in...you could tell it was already a long movie, and the stuff they cut out was more back story

It’s still nowhere close to Rogue one or Empire, but I was entertained

I saw it at 9pm in a theater in a suburb of DC and there were 7 people in the theater including my wife and I. For comparison, I saw Deadpool 2 last week at 11 in the same theater (same screen even) and it was packed....when I saw infinity war the opening Friday in a bigger screen it was sold out

So I don’t know if this makes the killing we have come to expect from the super Disney franchise....the last Jedi being as bad as it was may be having an effect

I had not intended to see this one for a while, but after hearing from people, and from some forums I generally trust, decided to give it a chance

I’m not disappointed I went. But I think I would have been fine if I had waited to see it too

I give it a solid C+/B-

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I will be seeing this either tomorrow night or Sunday. But in the meantime, I've been wondering if they hurt themselves by releasing it one week after Deadpool 2 and only six months after The Last Jedi.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I saw it tonight and thought it was excellent.

If you liked Rogue One, you’ll like Solo.

My only issue I found and I guess it’s not anything they could really do anything about, was the actor playing the younger Solo seemed significantly shorter than Harrison Ford.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it.

I kept thinking through the whole movie how a Star Wars series of Solo heists would be killer.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Did anyone catch that L3-37 is a play on L337 or LEET?
Hacker lingo. Or Haxor lingo.
(elite is what it means)

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
For the first time ever, I didn't see a SW film on opening night.
TLJ left such a bad taste in my mouth to the point where I've become quite jaded with the whole franchise.
I will still go and see Solo eventually, and only because I have an unhealthy obsession with Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I was really impressed overall with the movie, I thought the actor playing a younger Han did a fine job of capturing the swagger and swashbuckling of Harrison Ford’s Han. The guy playing a young Lando REALLY stole the show for me with the accent and speech cadence of Billy Dee Williams, even down to his propensity to say “Haen” instead of “Hon” when referring to Han just like the older version did.

I’m going to see it again with the wife soon.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
TLJ left such a bad taste in my mouth to the point where I've become quite jaded with the whole franchise.
I will still go and see Solo eventually, and only because I have an unhealthy obsession with Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons.

It's not unhealthy.... It's very very healthy. Yes. I even sat through Terminator Genysis just because she's Sara Connor.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Man, that is a relief. No telling when I might get a chance to see this film, but now I'm looking forward to it whenever that might be.

I was fully expecting everyone to hate it just like TLJ, so this is a welcome surprise. I loved Rogue One.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Man, that is a relief. No telling when I might get a chance to see this film, but now I'm looking forward to it whenever that might be.

I was fully expecting everyone to hate it just like TLJ, so this is a welcome surprise. I loved Rogue One.

This is NOT TLJ... It's a good star wars story. It's getting some mixed reviews, but I'm solidly in the pro camp, and I'm a massive star wars nerd prone to nerd rage

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Frown

Not doing well at the box office, which I think can be attributed to several factors:

1. Star Wars fatigue
2. Fan long-time fans angry about TLJ
3. Released on Memorial Day weekend when lots of people are away or doing other things than going to movies

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
2. Fan long-time fans angry about TLJ

Big time TLJ. Had it been a better movie, folks would have flocked to this flick. I am hoping Disney might realize they'll have to hold their nose and give fans the movies we want, not the ones Disney thinks we deserve.

But I doubt it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Just watched it. Liked it. Off to the spoilers thread.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by agony:

It's not unhealthy.... It's very very healthy. Yes. I even sat through Terminator Genysis just because she's Sara Connor.

Thank you guys for triangulating who she is for me. I kept thinking where do I know her from. Her facial features reminded me of Rosie Perez but I know Rosie is too old to be playing the role.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post