SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars Solo Spoiler thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Solo Spoiler thread Login/Join 
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
Solo shot first.

My faith in the SW universe has been partly restored.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I will admit I almost boycotted Solo because of the last Jedi

The only reason I didn’t was because my oldest friend (we stood in line to see ROTJ in 1983 together) saw Solo and assured me it was not TLJ

We also went to a special premiere of TLJ last December together and came away with the exact same anger and disgust most here feel

The only reason he went to see Solo is he married a very sweet girl half his age who is, well, a millennial.

His word is what got me to the theater

And I enjoyed it

I didn’t think it was anywhere close to Rogue One, but it was worlds better than TLJ, and even TFA because it’s impossible to watch TFA without knowing the abortion of a movie and story that is coming right after it.

Solo is a solid movie. It’s not great. It’s not awful. I give it a solid passing grade. c+/b- which is fine. It entertained me and didn’t make me horribly angry (although the SJW robot came close a few times...it was hard not to audibly cheer when she died)

But it is absolutely suffering because half the people that saw the last Jedi hated it so much. Not just didn’t like. But we’re visibly and physically angry after seeing it. And people are staying away because there better things to do with 3 hours and $50

And I don’t blame them

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Did anyone notice that when Han glanced up to the screen in that terminal and the recruitment video comes on for the Imperial Army, it's the Emperor's March music that is playing? Big Grin

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Blu Ray will be released in 3 months in September. F U Disney.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Another thing I had read was a tie-in to something that happened later in the Millennium Falcon. Recall when L3-37 died and they uploaded her into the Falcon's memory banks?

Well, check this out from IMDB: Big Grin

quote:

L3-37's memory is uploaded into the Millenium Falcon. In the radio adaptation of The Empire Strikes Back C3PO says that he's having difficulty talking to the Falcon's computer because she is "rather rude."

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I didn't care for it.

This sums up some of my thoughts, albeit a bit more wordy than my own.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Also NSFW rant. Thinking back on the movie I feel closer to Jesse's opinion...

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
^^^ Her review is longer than the movie!

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
LOL! That’s what I thought when I clicked on the link

quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
^^^ Her review is longer than the movie!

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the family on Monday. I thought the movie was shit, there I said it. Plot was four scrips thrown into a fruit ninja, and regurgitated into some unfathomable shit story. The story of the falcon and the Kessel run were interesting to see, but the female robot who is the contact captain was an odd twist. Han's previous girlfriend who is a slave decides that it was great to see han and even though her master is dead, fuck it I'm off to become a crime Lord.
I was very disappointed. Without the falcon story or the Kessel run, this movie was pure horse shit.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
I took the family on Monday. I thought the movie was shit, there I said it. Plot was four scrips thrown into a fruit ninja, and regurgitated into some unfathomable shit story. The story of the falcon and the Kessel run were interesting to see, but the female robot who is the contact captain was an odd twist. Han's previous girlfriend who is a slave decides that it was great to see han and even though her master is dead, fuck it I'm off to become a crime Lord.
I was very disappointed. Without the falcon story or the Kessel run, this movie was pure horse shit.

This is what I figured with replacement directors, rewrites, etc. Disney is just pumping these out left and right for cash. They have no personal connection to the characters or stories as Lucas did with the first three films. All the Disney films make the prequels look half way decent.

The shit is ruined until they slow down and start writing well for starters. If you’re writing to make money first, no magic happens. Creativity must come first. From the reviews on this everything is predictable, campy, and dumbed down. When you are afraid to take chances and play it safe, vanilla is all you’re going to get. See them on disc.

I find it funny. Deadpool 2, Avengers Infinity War, and Solo, all at theater right now. All Disney films. People need to start saying fuck Disney.

I just checked the summer releases and they all look terrible. One of them is yet another Disney SuperHo film, Ant man sequel Roll Eyes
Sicario 2 and the Equalizer sequel look like the only films this summer worth fucking with.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it with my son. Good, not great. Mostly entertaining. Han grew on me. Lando was excellent. When he first talked I too did a double-take.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm squarely in the LIKE it camp. This movie had no "significant" issues. If anyone can surface Ron Howard's address, I'd like to send him a thank you card.

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I do have one particular issue with it in that it didn't have 3PO or R2 anywhere in the movie.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I do have one particular issue with it in that it didn't have 3PO or R2 anywhere in the movie.

That was a huge plus for me.. No characters shoe horned in that shouldn't be there

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I'm glad we didn't have cameos by the droids. They'd be off somewhere else during Solo's adventures.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I couldn't look at that crime lord dude and not think it was the guy that played Murdoch on the A-Team.

Anybody else notice that the stuff they had at the beginning was hidden in what looked like the communicator that C3PO used in the control room and that Luke used in the trash compactor on the first Death Star?

Or that Beckett was wearing the same mask that Lando will wear in ROTJ? That one was pretty obvious.

There were a couple others I noticed, but can't remember them now.
What other Easter eggs did everyone spot?

Posts: 11156 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple eggs I noticed were the crystal skull and the blue cape worn by Billie Dee.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I couldn't look at that crime lord dude and not think it was the guy that played Murdoch on the A-Team.

Anybody else notice that the stuff they had at the beginning was hidden in what looked like the communicator that C3PO used in the control room and that Luke used in the trash compactor on the first Death Star?

Or that Beckett was wearing the same mask that Lando will wear in ROTJ? That one was pretty obvious.

There were a couple others I noticed, but can't remember them now.
What other Easter eggs did everyone spot?

When Han looks up at the video screen in the terminal and an Imperial Army recruitment ad is playing, the music it’s set to is the Emperors March you hear later in Empire Strikes Back.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand the whole “Luke died like a bitch” mentality at all.

To me Luke made the ultimate sacrifice and gave his “last full measure” in order to stave off the imminent destruction of Leia and the remnant of the Resistance in order to allow that to survive and grow again as they alluded to.

Just because YOU didn’t like how he died, doesn’t make your statement true. If you think about it, this started with Leia asking for help via a projection and ending with Luke sending help via a projection. I think it was pretty cool!