New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shetland Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I recently discovered this British series and it is good. I saw some reviews here, but nothing current. I really enjoy the scenery. You have to be a hardy soul to live there. They do seem to drink a lot.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can get dark. It’s nothing like others in the British cop show genre.

That said, it is superb.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I sort of tuned out after season 4. But in general, love the Danish procedurals / Nordic Noir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_noir

Season 1 of Brokenwood Mysteries will take you Down Under, for another view of life. Love the soundtracks.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
If you liked Shetland you'll love The Fall.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Too dark for me. Vera strikes the right balance; things like Midsummer Murders, and especially Father Brown are too frivolous; Shetland and the Scandinavian ones way too dark. Tried watching Broadchurch at my brother's recommendation, couldn't get through the first episode.
People actually became hysterical when a child died. Imagine!

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Too dark for me. Vera strikes the right balance; things like Midsummer Murders, and especially Father Brown are too frivolous; Shetland and the Scandinavian ones way too dark. Tried watching Broadchurch at my brother's recommendation, couldn't get through the first episode.

One of my all time favorites though nearly 30 years old is Between the Lines. The first two seasons are outstanding - particularly the second season concluding episodes. Season 3 I could take or leave since it sort of jumped the shark. Bless the person who uploaded all the episodes to YouTube. Big Grin

Scandinavian and dark? Eek Try the full 9 hours of Swedish TV's Millenium Trilogy. You get used to the subtitles quickly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
People actually became hysterical when a child died. Imagine!

you probably won't like Hinterland either , (good show, but dark and a bit slow at times)

Wire in the Blood was another great British show that was also just a tad dark, leaning towards police drama / Horror genre

wife and I loved Broadchurch,

and 100% agree on Father Brown, we tried it and it seemed a bit silly

I'm a fan of Lovejoy,, wife cannot stand that show

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

you probably won't like Hinterland either , (good show, but dark and a bit slow at times)

Somebody said, "Hey, Shetland was successful. Let's copy it but set it in Wales".

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
One thing I liked about Vera is that it's set in Northumberland, not a sunny or beautiful place; and there is lots of industrial activity of various kinds shown and incorporated into the plots. Also it rains. A lot. Does it ever rain in Midsomer?

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post