SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    RIP Bill Withers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Bill Withers Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
Bill Withers, the legendary soul singer behind 1970s hits like “Lean on Me,” “Lovely Day” and “Ain’t No Sunshine,” died on Monday in Los Angeles.… He was 81.

The soulful singer and three-time Grammy winner died from heart complications.

Mr. Withers was well into his 30s when he began recording music, after growing up in a segregated coal-mining town in West Virginia, serving in the Navy and working as an aircraft mechanic. But during his 14-year recording career, starting with the album “Just As I Am” in 1971, he wrote and performed songs that have become anthems around the word, drawn from gritty blues, R&B and the era’s confessional style of lyrics.

Long after his de facto retirement from recording — he released his last album in 1985, after many battles with music industry executives — Mr. Withers entered the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999 and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2015 by Stevie Wonder.

Roger Ebert wrote this about Still Bill, a 2010 documentary about Withers:

"Still Bill" is about a man who topped the charts, walked away from it all in 1985 and is pleased that he did.

He didn't burn out. He hasn't burned out. He was free of the demons of drink and drugs. He is still happily married to his first and only wife. His grown kids still live at home -- Kori, who would like to follow her dad into music, and Todd, who is a law student. Marcia, his wife, has her MBA from UCLA and has manifestly looked after their finances, as we can guess after a look around their rambling hilltop home in a high-priced area of Los Angeles.…

He had a serious stutter until he was 20. We don't learn why it went away. Maybe music helped. The most emotional scenes in "Still Bill" show him accepting an award from a stutterers' association, and then talking with a roomful of kids who stutter. His advice is calm: He identifies with them, he observes that stuttering can make other people nervous, he says "we have to go just that little bit further to help them feel at ease."

He wipes away some tears in his eyes, and we suspect they have been unshed since childhood. Later he recalls being taunted to "spit it out!" -- as if stuttering were his decision. He says he decided while young to make the most of his opportunities, and did. He studied, joined the Navy, didn't own a guitar until 1970, and achieved his first hit record, "Ain't No Sunshine," in 1971.

Withers wasn't part of mainstream soul music. He used a few instruments -- guitar, bass, drums, piano -- and no driving beat. He depended on his pure baritone and his lyrics. Listen again to "Ain't No Sunshine," and you realize it is a rarity: a hit song that is essentially just a man singing.

Ebert was critical of only one part of the documentary:

Perhaps in an attempt to slip some "meaning" into the film, the documentarians Damani Baker and Alex Vlack arrange a conversation with the scholar Cornel West and Tavis Smiley from PBS. It feels like they're trying to lead Bill into heavy generalizations, but he won't go there. Withers seems as close to everyday Zen as I can imagine. He talks a great deal about his philosophy, to be sure, but it's direct and manifestly true: Make the most of your chances, do the best you can, stop when you're finished, love your family, enjoy life.

At 70, he sings once in the film, at a tribute to him in Brooklyn. And in his home recording studio, he and guitarist and songwriter Raul Midon collaborate on a song in Spanish, which I liked. He still has the voice, the chops and the presence. But he doesn't feel a need to spend days and weeks away from home proving that.... "I'm like pennies in your pocket," he says. "You know they're there, but you don't think about them."

posted by John Althouse Cohen on Friday, April 03, 2020

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What a voice.

RIP.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP, Bill.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Frown

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
His music became an "earworm" that was welcome and not hated. RIP Mr. Withers and thank you for the sentiments in your music you shared with us all. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Rest In Peace Mr Withers.

When I was a kid, I bought three of his 45rpm singles, Ain't No Sunshine, Lean On Me, and Use Me, an awesome song.

Later in life, I kinda kept track of him because he was a curmudgeon, an anomaly in the music business; he had no manager, walked away from it all when record people kept trying to mold him to the current black music trends, and afterwards turning down all offers, never to return. For a complete unknown, his band for the first record was Jim Keltner on drums, Donald "Duck" Dunn on bass, and Stephen Stills and Booker T Jones on guitars, quite a line up. He was a very talented guy.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post

In case it doesn't show since I guess Karmanator is gone and don't see "old embed code" option, In The Name Of Love

What a rare person in the entertainment business to have been so level-headed.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I love the others, but was always kind of partial to this one:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/EZldnP0lhHA

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
He has a great voice and enjoyed his music a lot. Another piece of my childhood is gone.

RIP Mr Withers and thank you for the music.

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Ain't no sunshine when you're gone....

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another piece of my childhood is gone.

Exactly. RIP Sir.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post