SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Happy Birthday, Heavy Metal (Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath was released 50yrs ago today.)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy Birthday, Heavy Metal (Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath was released 50yrs ago today.) Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
On February 13th, 1970 four English guys changed music forever with their self-titled Album and even a song of the same name that kicks off the record...

Widely considered the first Heavy Metal music and album, all by (essentially) just slowing down and dirtying up the Blues with detuned guitars, spooky lyrics, and extra distortion.

It was the first piece of music I ever owned, a Christmas present way back when, in Cassette Tape format at the time. I wore that old Tape out.

I bet they had no idea how big it would get in 50yrs. All from a record recorded in a single day. Cheers... Geezer, Tony, Bill, and Ozzy.

Happy 50th Birthday, Heavy Metal music.

quote:
it was 50yrs ago today
Sgt Ozzy taught the band to play...

Twisting up the distinctly American Blues of largely poor black musicians proved to be a winning formula for a few famous English bands of pasty honkeys:

Black Sabbath - Slow Blues, Extra Distortion, Detuned Guitars, Spooky Lyrics
Led Zeppelin - Fast Blues, Heavy Drums, Extra Distortion, Rebellious Lyrics
Pink Floyd - Psychedelic Blues, adds Synths and more Effects, Thoughtful Lyrics, Extra Distortion
Rolling Stones...

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I believe all four members are still alive - surprisingly.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:

Yeah.

Ozzy is nearly pickled but still kicking, technically.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My genre. Cool

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Yep, I remember that album and the era except I was still rocking the 8-track and the LP. Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:

....and all of the original Ramones are sedated.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
First record album I ever bought.

Ray

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Black Sabbath have had a huge impact on my life. I started listening/liking them when I was around 6 or 7 when my oldest brother would play the Black Sabbath 8 tracks in our house. I've been a life long Ozzy fan and for the last 25 years or so a Black Label Society/Zakk Wylde fan because of Zakk's connection to/with Ozzy.

Black Sabbath are the greatest heavy metal band of all time in my opinion.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
One of my earliest musical memories is hearing War Pigs for the first time. Was on vinyl from my friend's older brother's collection. We snuck a listen when no one else was home.

Metal for me ever since.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post