SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Sons of Anarchy -- -yeah, or meh
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sons of Anarchy -- -yeah, or meh Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted
I've started to watch Sons of Anarchy on Prime Video. I realize it's on old show, but I'm just now getting around to seeing it.

I'm about 9 episodes in, and I'm finding that parts of it are good, but there's the other part of the production and story that seem less than stellar. Fluff typical of a somewhat lower budget production.

Honestly, the attraction for me is simply the fact that it's based on Shakespeare's Hamlet. The connection if obvious, and well done IMHO. I've not yet gotten to the part about what really happened to Jax' father, but if the story sticks with the hamlet theme, then the outcome will be obvious.

but what are your thoughts about the show???

Question:
Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Choices:
Thumbs up -- great show.
I'm Neutral on the show. I stuck with it, but there's better.
Thumbs down -- time is better spent watching something else
No seen it, but I wanted to vote anyway.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It started strong but went on too long for its own good. It severely lagged around Season 4 or 5 but picked up again in the last couple seasons only to come to a rather anticlimactic finale.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It was a great show, then good show then it was time to move on.
Worth the watch though.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
It started strong but went on too long for its own good. It severely lagged around Season 4 or 5 but picked up again in the last couple seasons only to come to a rather anticlimactic finale.

It definitely dragged on too many seasons and the ending was epically lame IMO.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Wifey called it Pussy Bikers...

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is a perfect sum up. The last season or two I was just watching to see how they ended it. It started out good, and then sort of just drifted around.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Chasing a baby around Ireland is when they jumped the shark.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Chasing a baby around Ireland is when they jumped the shark.

This, what a stupid season.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I binge watched it on prime. I slept through a good portion of it.

And right now in my head, the story is mixed up with episodes of The Devil's Ride.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I watched it when it was on. Enjoyed it for the most part. Some story lines just seemed out of place at the time. All in all I did enjoy it.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
It's flawed, but enjoyable.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked it for the most part, but after a while they just ran out of people to kill. For me, when Opie and Tara were killed off, the show was just not as good.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the first season and maybe part of the second but it started getting dumb so I quit.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
I liked it for the most part, but after a while they just ran out of people to kill. For me, when Opie and Tara were killed off, the show was just not as good.

Their deaths came so late in the timeframe of the show, though. I will say that killing Opie's wife changed the dynamic of the show, though.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
It started strong but went on too long for its own good. It severely lagged around Season 4

Which is when I bailed on it.

There are better options.

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
First couple seasons were good, then it fell off rapidly.

I watched it all just to close it out, but I wished about 5 episodes to the end that Jax and his crew happened upon Jones and some of the other legal pistoleros on the forum - and were gunned down in about 7.5 seconds.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Guys, please for the sake of the person who started this thread, watch it with the SPOILERS.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Love the first two seasons. Season 3 dragged a bit but the finale is awesome. In my world the show ends either with the 3rd season finale or the first episode of 4. It goes off the rails for me after that. I watchd it to the end, but i wasnt happy about it.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
"Awesome" is not a word I would have ever used for the finale. I thought it was weak, at best.

I enjoyed the first few seasons as a man about the same age as the main character, also becoming a father for the first time and trying to make sense of my relationship with my old man. That was the hook for me. When it wasn't anymore, it was simply because I was far enough in that I wanted to see how it ended.

However, the last few seasons were a real slog, and I ended up not caring about really any of the characters anymore several seasons before the finale because I realized they were all horrible, shitty people who made horrible, shitty decisions at exactly every turn, and were at their best when they were doing horrible, shitty things to the people closest to them.

And, this is only so spoilerific, but I got real tired of the amount of man-on-man assrape that I had to witness seemingly every episode towards the end, sometimes several assrapes an episode. If someone had told me how much chuff-pounding I would have had to endure to make it through the show, I might've opted out at the start. JMO

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Watched the full series, like most it starts ok, gets better, acting and writing improve, you jump a shark, then it becomes obvious it's time to end it.

Still a good show overall, and yes the Ireland segment gave us a reason to use CC because none of us could understand a fookin word....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post