SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Any movie suggestions about the troubles in North Ireland?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any movie suggestions about the troubles in North Ireland? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
Trying to get a view of the conflict?

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
Trying to get a view of the conflict?

"Michael Collins" - Neeson.

"Shake Hands with the Devil" - Cagney.

"Odd Man Out" - Mason.

PBS Documentaries on the subject.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Some Mother's Son. Excellent take on The North in the 80's.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'71

Posts: 101 | Location: Jhb, South Africa | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigamt:
'71

This. I watched it with a veteran of the period there, who likes to quibble on military details but declared this one excellent.

Then there is "Shadow Dancer" from 2012, starring Clive Owen, Andrea Riseborough and Gilian Anderson.

Posts: 2413 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Hunger (2008)

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Th Crying Game

Big Grin

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Not a movie, but Leon Uris' Trinity provides an excellent fictional history of the Troubles.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Only tangentially related to The Troubles, but I’ve always liked Blown Away with Jeff Bridges and Tommy Lee Jones.

Similarly, Patriot Games, Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan and Richard Harris in a great role as an IRA...what do do call a person who raises money for a cause?

The Devil’s Own, again Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt, also takes place in the U.S. but revolves around IRA gun running. I like that one too.

I know that’s not what you’re looking for, but they’re good.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
I'll second Bloody Sunday.

...and I'll suggest "Harry's Game" (aka "The Belfast Assassin'), which is hard to find in the USA but is rather famous for its theme song.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
A good start would be The Informer.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
...and I'll suggest "Harry's Game" (aka "The Belfast Assassin'), which is hard to find in the USA but is rather famous for its theme song.

Ah, so that's the reference. A recording of the song can also be heard in "Patriot Games"; the head of the PIRA splinter group (Patrick Bergin) listens to a music video while he waits for the "friendly visit" of the brigade commander over the initial terror attack foiled by Jack Ryan, then proceeds to kill his would-be killers.

Posts: 2413 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Tagging for reference.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post