SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I Guess I Can Still Play This Song
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Guess I Can Still Play This Song Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, hell yes you can. I have that one on CD and am going to buy some more music from The Band just to be safe. Thank you.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Of course, I was being facetious, but these days who knows. I saw "The Tour," Bob Dylan and The Band in the 70s and it was a terrific show. This song would be on my list of Greatest of all Time songs. I don't play it all the time, but every time I think of it and put it on, it brings a smile to my face.

This perf from The Last Waltz is perfect.

BTW, Robbie Robertson is the songwriter of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Robbie wrote it, but for me, it is all about Levon Helm. Great song.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Robbie wrote it, but for me, it is all about Levon Helm. Great song.

Yes, and Levon was the only southerner in The Band--he was from Arkansas. Robertson is from Canada.

posted Hide Post
Hell, I think everyone is from Canada except Levon. What a great band.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But, it makes no difference.

posted Hide Post
Ironic, I was listening to the CDB version pulling into work today. No one will tell me what to listen too. I choose my music.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The song shall soon be banished never to be heard again so it is wiped from the memory of all who have heard it and to never fall on the ears of future generations.

The song mentions the offensive Robert E.Lee in the lyrics. Razz

On a serious note Dixie is truly one of the great songs. Levon Helm is greatly missed. For me The Band's hallmark song was The Weight.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
A good read is "This Wheels on Fire" by Lavon Helm. Almost everywhere people pronounce it Levon, but it's not a big deal. In his book Levon claims Robbie didn't write many of the songs he is credited for but the Band wasn't aware of it at the time and didn't realize that it meant Robbie was getting money out of it. They were all great musicians, but after reading the book I like Robbie a lot less than before.
The town that I worked in at the time of Levons death had its high school drumline invited to the service and the drumline was led by Ringo. Pretty cool.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
The song shall soon be banished never to be heard again so it is wiped from the memory of all who have heard it and to never fall on the ears of future generations.

The song mentions the offensive Robert E.Lee in the lyrics. Razz

On a serious note Dixie is truly one of the great songs. Levon Helm is greatly missed. For me The Band's hallmark song was The Weight.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9P202C3mm8g" width="420"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Some interesting background on this song. Nazareth, Pennsylvania is where the Martin Guitar factory is/was. Anna-Lee was one of the guitar experts at the factory. Crazy Chester is a character that used to walk around Nazareth with toy old western six shooters around his waist. The Band would travel there to get equipment fixed as it was not that far from where they were living in NY State. Levon tells this in his book.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The Band's is the greatest performance, but a close second is Joan Baez's cover. Forget her politics. Her voice reigns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTNirVqTepE

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
In his book Levon claims Robbie didn't write many of the songs he is credited for but the Band wasn't aware of it at the time and didn't realize that it meant Robbie was getting money out of it. They were all great musicians, but after reading the book I like Robbie a lot less than before.

Yeah, the Robbie/Levon feud was certainly a bad one, hard to say who was right and wrong. It is interesting that Robbie (and manager Albert Grossman) made the lion's share of the money and the rest of the band made little. And I did find Robbie to be a little creepy in The Last Waltz, being an attention grabber while the rest of the band looked like they wanted to disappear.

I read years ago that Robbie's backing vocals were erased (along with a lot of stuff) from the film's final soundtrack, since Robertson was not in the top 3 of best vocalists in the band.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
The editing of the Last Waltz was done by Robbie and Martin Scorsese. Robbie made sure he was in the spotlight for most of the show. Robbie claims he made up with Levon right before Levon died, I doubt it. I had also heard that Robbies mic was turned off in a few shows, but I don't know that for sure.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
Such a great song, when I saw the title, immediately in my head I heard the short little ramp up into and "Virgil Cane is the name......"

I've always liked this version, it's slower, but has good peaks and valleys. Jerry's voice has a lot of emotion to it, and the organ with the gospel singers are powerful.

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post