New
Find
Notify
Tools

Petula Clark Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
For whatever reason, the song Downtown has always reminded me of a Birthday as a kid. The song was on the radio when my parents were taking me downtown (Toledo) for a birthday dinner and then shopping at one of the department stores (it was the 60's, there were still stores downtown).

So this evening, I pulled that song up on You Tube. Well up popped a number of other Petula Clark videos.

I forgot what a body of work she had.

Any Petula Clark fans out there?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm a fan. My favorite is "Don't Sleep in the Subway", but I enjoy pretty much any song of hers.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yes. And Bill Whittle uses "I Know A Place" as the lead in music on his live chats.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I was 14 or so when the single came out. I bought the 45 and about wore it out. I think I still have the original 45 in my basement with the rest of my old vinyl.

This was about the time I bought my first guitar.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Not a huge fan, but Downtown and I Know A Place were songs I loved from the radio when I was a kid, especially the latter. When I had a little shit garage punk band as a teenager, I wanted to cover I Know A Place, but the other guys thought I was nuts. I still think it would make a great remake Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16688 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
She was definitely one of the British 'pop icons' of the sixties. I've always associated her with the 'mods', and the Carnaby Steet images. It's A Sign of the Times, and My Love were also in her stable of hits. She had a very-strong voice like fellow-artist Dusty Springfield. I always remember my little, transistor-radio, when I hear these tunes. Kiss Me Goodbye really showcases her range, a real stunner as they say!

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
For some reason, Downtown was one of those songs from my little kid days back in the 60's that just stuck with me. To this day, it will just pop into my head at a moment's notice. I'm surprised at myself for not having added it to my music library yet.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
She was definitely one of the British 'pop icons' of the sixties.
along with Dusty Springfield.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. like Pet Clark and her music.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was enduring a "reality" program of trash pickers when they found the table-top control for a jukebox. One of her songs was on the list of available 45's, and the "reality" doofus said something like, "Who's ever heard of her?"

Well here we are a couple years later, and I have no idea who the doofus was or what the show was, but Petula Clark... I know who *she* is.

Good artist, good work, makes me smile to even hear her name or the name of one of her songs. I bet everyone in this thread has pulled up one of her songs to listen to, just from reading the thread.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan, but I recall my Grandmother singing "Downtown." Which was odd, because she wasn't a singing person.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Is that the song that was played in "Flight of the Intruder" when Defoe went on the unsanctioned bombing run? Maybe I'm mixing up movies?

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
^^^
It is.

IIRC, that was the first time I'd heard the song. Looked it up after the movie.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True confession: I always liked Petula better than Dusty Springfield. But one evening sitting with a GF back in the '90s (she had the TV tuned to ice skating), I was jolted by: Sandie Shaw. And a couple of years ago: Susan Maughan. Petula is now #4 on my favorite Brit Chicks of the '60s (Dianna Rigg being #1 of course).

Posts: 3220 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I was 4 or 5 listening to Downtown while riding in the front seat with my dad in his 65 two door Falcon wagon in Ft Lauderdale. Those were the days!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post