SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The boys are back! The Grand Tour premiers on Nov 18
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The boys are back! The Grand Tour premiers on Nov 18 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
So apparently the first episode will be available at 00:01 GMT Friday, November 18th... Which is 6pm today where I live.

Just 2 1/2 hours until the lads are back. In anticipation I watched their very last episode of Top Gear at lunch today.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeffDVC
posted Hide Post
Cant wait!! Is there an equivalent for guns and ammo? Colion Noir?

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 23 | Location: Illinois / SW FL | Registered: October 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Some highlights from the old days:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs6NdPMp1ag&t=1s

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's on Prime now!! Watching it as I type...

Posts: 101 | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ice1811:
It's on Prime now!! Watching it as I type...

Dang it! I'm too far offshore for fast internet. I'll have to wait until tomorrow or the next day to watch it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Good fun. Enjoying it just like the "good old days'.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good To see the boys back. Enjoyed the films, especially the opening film with Jezza handing over his BBC security badge. As for the rest, they'll get the rhythm tightened up as they go along I'm sure. No concerns at all. It was nice to see the lads together again.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Welcome home boys!
Enjoyed it quite a bit, except the celebrity part.

Intro was pure awesome.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:
Good To see the boys back. Enjoyed the films, especially the opening film with Jezza handing over his BBC security badge. As for the rest, they'll get the rhythm tightened up as they go along I'm sure. No concerns at all. It was nice to see the lads together again.

Yeah, go back and watch seasons 1-3 of Top Gear some time, and consider that those are the same three guys who took over the world... I think there were a couple of "we're trying too hard" moments, but I have no worries about this show at all.

Can't wait for next week! Big Grin

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Posts: 1552 | Location: SF Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
I watched the first episode and enjoyed it... The Royal Air Force is... Okay, I guess...

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Upon further reflection I have just one request for the Grand Tour - ditch the American driver and bring back The Ben Collins. It was forced and awkward and as a character, just didn't do it for me.

I'm confident that the celebrity interview skit this week was simply a bridge to ditching the segment completely. Good riddance.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Not bad. I do miss the BBC cinematography though this was not bad.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Poor Top Gear!!!! Eek

Looked soooooo lame compared with this!
They must have spent as much money as Hillary, but with a much better result. Oh is that politics? My bad!

Posts: 18067 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Good show, looking forward to the rest.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Chris Harris had a more thorough and technical comparison of the three hypercars, but I enjoyed this one for the antics. All of the segments for the season have already been filmed. The roving tent part is still on-going, though pretty near its own wrap.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffDVC:
Cant wait!! Is there an equivalent for guns and ammo? Colion Noir?

As I mentioned below I think the original three do just the right about of hard objective comparisons/details compared to Top Gear under Chris Evans, while for guns I feel Colion Noir goes too far the other way. His segments are all fluff with no technical details to really compare the guns he is shooting. Sure they are well filmed and well narrated but to me they aren't much more useful that a company press release.

quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Chris Harris had a more thorough and technical comparison of the three hypercars, but I enjoyed this one for the antics. All of the segments for the season have already been filmed. The roving tent part is still on-going, though pretty near its own wrap.

I think the original three covers the technical stuff just enough. With exception of the M2 I can't afford any of the cars on the shows. So I don't care about technical nitty girtty. But I also do like to see the cars compared so the head to head tests, and the timed laps do interest me.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is like the old BBC show dialed up to ELEVEN !
And Amazon must have spent a metric boat load of cash on it.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Oh I am so happy the boys are back!

Where else can you get commentary like this: Hammond on driving the P1: "It's like being trapped in a telephone box with a panicky gorilla". Genius!

And Clarkson shitting himself trying to stop with the DRS still engaged. So much fun! I liked the jabs at the BBC and the old show as well.

The American driver felt stilted and forced. Hopefully they will work on that.

Overall very satisfied and can't wait for the next episode!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
I think the original three covers the technical stuff just enough. With exception of the M2 I can't afford any of the cars on the shows. So I don't care about technical nitty girtty. But I also do like to see the cars compared so the head to head tests, and the timed laps do interest me.

Then I'll say it another way: Harris was more passionate about his experience driving each car and showed more skill at driving them. Even the Grand Tour's guest racing driver failed to keep the P1 on the track. I couldn't help but wonder how the car's owner felt about that.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Strangely
Persuasive Monster
Picture of Swain0351
posted Hide Post
I thought the first episode was fantastic. I like that they focus more on the experience than the tech specs.

"Arguing with a fool is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, shit on the board, and strut around like it's victorious." ~Anonymous

Posts: 10359 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post