SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    #DAYTONADAY 2018
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

#DAYTONADAY 2018 Login/Join 
posted
Got any NASCAR fans here?

Posts: 106 | Registered: September 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
F1 is my first choice but it will do for now.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one race I make a point to watch.

Looking forward to it.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I only catch a few NASCAR races each year and this is the one that starts it all.

Looking forward to it.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I'm more of an Indy Car fan (one of the few I think) but I also watch NASCAR. I can't watch the short courses but love races like Daytona and wish they had more road courses.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I was all over it.

Fat boy France screwing with it all the time. Selective rule enforcement. Too much of Junior & Danica and too many Waltrips that won't shut up. Started watching the race with the TV muted and MRN on the radio.

Thinking superspeedways, road courses, Martinsville, & Bristol are the few races worth watching. The other races are a snoozefest.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
It was really cool to have Truex and the FRR team take last year's championship. I've been more a NASCAR fan lately due to the local team doing so well.

Daytona is scheduled to record as I will be out riding on a 60 degree day.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The time clock for damage and only 5 guys over the wall... is sorta my last straw lol. I still watch it but not religious like I used it.

quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
A few years ago, I was all over it.

Fat boy France screwing with it all the time. Selective rule enforcement. Too much of Junior & Danica and too many Waltrips that won't shut up. Started watching the race with the TV muted and MRN on the radio.

Thinking superspeedways, road courses, Martinsville, & Bristol are the few races worth watching. The other races are a snoozefest.

That might change, France family is “rumored” to be debating about selling it off. Comcast is rumored to be a interested depending on if it includes tracks sorta like what happened to F1.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigma6:
The time clock for damage and only 5 guys over the wall... is sorta my last straw lol. I still watch it but not religious like I used it.
That might change, France family is “rumored” to be debating about selling it off. Comcast is rumored to be a interested depending on if it includes tracks sorta like what happened to F1.

I sure hope so. Kenseth wins too much, start the playoffs. Johnson wins too much, start elimination rounds. Add the COT for the Fast and Furious bunch. Stupitition cautions because it rained the day before. They think we are too stupid to follow the round of 16/12/8/4/whatever, they explain it thirty times between the advertisements. Unfortunately for them, I was watching NASCAR when Tim Richmond, Alan Kulwicki, Davey Allison, & Harry Gant were on the track. You know, a real race! When the race was over, Gant would roof a house to make ends meet. I don't think that any drivers would be able to put a roof on a house today.

Kinda like when Formula 1 started a few years ago and the first penalty of the year was because of gas mileage... Yeah, Only watching Monaco after that.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I guess I also fall into the former fan group

I was a season ticket holder at Richmond and martinsville for years, but all the stuff listed above drive me out of the sport. The only thing that kept me remotely watching was Junior, and even that wasn’t enough after his mom killed DEI and he moved to Hendrick.

15 years ago I probably watched 20 or more races a year, start to finish, and attended 5 or 6 live

I haven’t watched a full race in probably 3 or 4 years now..and it’s been 7 or 8 years since I went to one.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I think NASCAR is pretty much dead in its current form. There will be tracks that will be 60-70% empty. It’s juts a snooze fest with the spec racers on the spec ovals.

They need to go to a full 1/3 of the races on road courses, 1/3 on supers, and 1/3 short ovals. They need to get away from template cars. This year a Camaro will literally the exact same shape as aCamry. It’s beyond stupid.

Lighter smaller pony car type instead of the old sedan racing. Less aero restriction on road courses and ovals.

I would like it to be like a cross between the old Trans Am racing, and German supercar.

I just think oval racing is dead. Road racing has a constant and loyal fan base.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if anyone caught the Xfinity race today. 4 Green/White/Checkers. Race when over by 20 laps... very interesting end. Plus side photo finish between JR teams of #9 & #1.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigma6:
Not sure if anyone caught the Xfinity race today. 4 Green/White/Checkers. Race when over by 20 laps... very interesting end. Plus side photo finish between JR teams of #9 & #1.

What’s bad is even a side by side finish preceded by “the big one” is boring to me. I used to love it. We would go to Daytona, Talledega, Atlanta regularly. Occasional trips to Charlotte and Bristol. Now I can’t even watch it on TV.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Get rid of Breon Francy Pants and NASCAR may return to it's former glory. I've been a fan since I was 14 and I pulled for the Silver Fox driving the 21 Puryurlator Car! I watched the rise and fall of NASCAR. I'm hanging on hoping that the sport will regain former glory.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched since Earnhardt died.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The sad part is they pick two or three drivers and talk about them so damn much it makes it difficult to watch. Darrel is the worst. Can tell you whatever a driver is 'thinking' at the time (if he is that good he should concentrate his efforts on the Powerball instead) and repeats whatever anyone in the booth just finished saying. Constantly shits himself any time Junior got up front. Michael is obviously a Toyota representative because that is all he talks about. Sure, they have to push the most popular crap to keep the base happy, but when 'Daytona Rising' happened a few years ago, part of it was them taking out thousands of seats. They still can't sell the place out. They haven't released attendance numbers in years. ESPU took over Jayski so we could see all the ESPU banners, flashing ads, male enhancement banners, etc. Fox Sux One had to buy Speedvision so we could watch LeBron like he wasn't on seven other channels already.

They wen't to the halftime stuff in truck racing, then went to segments. They are telling us that they are making racing more exciting by not racing? Remembering when the chase format was leaked by Spencer. They told him that was the absolute stupidest thing they ever head...

At any given time I wish McReynolds would say' Hell, I don't know, why don't you tell us Darrel?

Looks like there are good rookies this year, Hopefully Chase, Bubba, Bowman, & Byron can get things done better than constantly showing Danica running all the way up to 31st.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I wasn't a segment fan initially but it has changed the races, now you have two green flag finishes and then the Checkered flag.

Last years Truex win in the overall points showed the value of winning segments, so races like Daytona don't end up a 400 mile snoozefest of cruise around, pass a little, change tires, and then 20 laps of hard racing.

With the new blood behind the wheels they only know the segments and fight to win them, causing of course, carnage, along with the new handling package this year blocking is difficult because the blocker often gets punted by air pressure not the bumper.

Part of the reason for the limits in the pits is that the big teams were spending mega bucks to develop better tools, faster methods, all to gain a tenth and of course lesser teams could not keep up (hey F1 folks should like that LOL) like the air gun, a couple of teams were spending hundreds of thousands a year on air gun development.

So NASCAR made a rule, everyone uses the same one air gun, everyone, a good thing for teams with limited budgets, which were the good old boys back in the day...

Still its Daytona, crisp morning air, a breeze off the ocean, warm sun on your back and the smell of racin' fuel in the air.... booogity booogity booogity, lets go racin!

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post