SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Battlefield 1 - Turning Tides expansion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battlefield 1 - Turning Tides expansion Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Anyone still playing BF1?

I'm not usually a big multiplayer shooter player, preferring single player games. But I've been playing BF1 for about 6 months now, and really enjoy it. It tickles my inner history nerd just right, and while I expected to get bored with it rather quickly, it has remained fun to play, especially with expansions being regularly released to introduce new maps, modes, and weapons.

The new expansion - Turning Tides - just dropped yesterday. (Well, most of it... There will be a Part 2 with a new Zeebrugge Raid Operation and two additional new maps released next month.)

I only had a couple hours to play last night, but I managed to unlock the Farquhar-Hill rifle for the Medic, which I can already tell will be one of my favorite Medic rifles. When playing a Medic I typically use either the Mondragon or M1916, and excel at medium-range, but that leaves me at a bit of a disadvantage when the battles get close. The F-H seems like a good middle-ground or jack-of-all-trades SLR, in-between the longer range rifles like the Mondragon or M1916, and the short-range Autoloading 8 or M1907. It's capable at medium range, but still able to hold its own at closer ranges.

I'm going to try for the new Scout rifles tonight. I typically play as an assault-the-objective close-to-medium-range Scout, rather than a camp-and-snipe long-range Scout, so both the new Arisaka and Carcano rifles seem right up my alley with their focus on close-range fire. I usually use either the Vetterli carbine or SMLE when playing as a Scout.

The new Gallipoli Operation, with the maps Cape Helles and Achi Baba, is an absolute meat-grinder. In all my months of playing, the most frantic battles I've experienced were last night on these new maps.

Cape Helles is rough on the attacking Brits, trying to establish a beachhead and then battling uphill against Turkish entrenchments, and it's rough on the defending Turks, who are sitting ducks for rampaging British bombers, dreadnaughts, and the new destroyers. The Brits get mown down by small arms fire, while the Turks get mown down by artillery and bombs.

The other new map, Achi Baba, is similarly deadly, though more from small arms, with multiple choke-points for the defending Turks to lock down, which require a herculean effort on the part of the Brits to battle their way through. It's heavy on the grenade-spam in those areas, and Medics have their work cut out for them. I do like how the map rapidly transitions from tight-in fighting to more open-area fighting and back, as opposed to previous maps that tend to be more one or the other.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(K,Na)(Fe+++,Al,Mg)2
(Si,Al)4 O10(OH)2
Picture of Munch
posted Hide Post
I play a lot of BF1. I played the Turning Tides maps a bit and enjoyed them. I am pretty horrible until I learn the map and I got utterly destroyed on most of the games I played on the new maps but it was fun nonetheless. I was able to unlock the F-H as well. I think I will like that gun especially on the more open maps. I still the the Federov Avtomat on the tight ones.

What platform do you play it on?

Posts: 859 | Location: north central Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I play on Xbox One. Xbox Live name RogueJK.

Played for a couple hours again last night, but only managed to unlock one of the two new Scout rifles, the Carcano M91. The final requirement for the Arisaka to get 3 Multikills as a Scout is proving troublesome... I'm at 2/3, but it basically comes down to getting lucky and catching multiple enemies with tripwire bombs or grenades. Only a matter of time, though.

The Carcano is underwhelming. No "sweet spot", and max of 85 damage, so no one-shot kills, but a faster fire rate like the M95s. So it's basically a clone of the M95 Infantry, designed for close-range two-shot kills and poaching injured enemies. Not my usual style.

The Arisaka should be more up my alley. It has a close-in "sweet spot" for one-hit-kills at 30-60 meters. Basically puts it directly in-between my usual Scout rifles, the Vetterli (20-50) and SMLE (40-75). It also has a higher fire rate and higher muzzle velocity than either the Vetterli or SMLE.

I'm also already close to unlocking the Assault's new C96 Trench Carbine too, which requires only 15 handgun kills and 5 multikills to unlock, despite not playing the expansion as Assault yet. Just playing as a Medic and Scout for a few hours the last couple nights already has me at 15/15 and 4/5.

This C96 Trench seems like a bit of an oddball for the Assault class, being a rather dramatic departure from the other SMGs. It's more like the Medic's closer-range rifles, being similar to the Medic's M1907 Sweeper or Autoloading 8 .25 Extended, only with less damage and a bigger magazine, or similar to the Fedorov Avtomat, only with a slower ROF and larger magazine. I'm interested to see how it works out. It doesn't really seem to be competitive with the other Assault SMGs, with similar damage and range but a lower ROF, and it just doesn't really seem to mesh with the Assault's role. We'll see.

In playing around a bit more with the Farquhar-Hill, I'm liking it even more. The iron sights are especially nice, and do a good job of drawing your eye.

I also tried out the new game mode "Conquest Assault". Similar to Conquest, except one team starts in control of all the objectives, while the other team starts with a 250 point bonus. So it plays sort of like Operations (especially at the start when one team is "attacking" and another is "defending"), but with the entire map is in play rather than one section at a time. Not a huge difference, but a nice change of pace from vanilla Conquest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
Played the CTE and release. None of the new guns is worth a flip to me.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(K,Na)(Fe+++,Al,Mg)2
(Si,Al)4 O10(OH)2
Picture of Munch
posted Hide Post
You are way ahead of me. This has been a hectic week so far and will remain so. I will hopefully catch up over the holidays. I also play on Xbox. Xbox Live name is Sherpa69. Look me up if you are bored and looking for someone to game with.

Posts: 859 | Location: north central Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post