SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Why is the musical play "Hamilton" such a big hit?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is the musical play "Hamilton" such a big hit? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine the uproar, the outrage by leftists and the media, if someone decided to create a musical on Martin Luther King, make him and his associates white, advertise casting calls for NON BLACK actors and singers, and use country music as the vehicle for the songs?

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
I understand where you’re coming from, but the roles in the show call for non-white actors

Turn it around. What if a show was casting for "Jesus Christ, Superstar" and they said the role called for 'only Jewish actors'...how would that fly?

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Turn it around. What if a show was casting for "Jesus Christ, Superstar" and they said the role called for 'only Jewish actors'...how would that fly?

Wait, but Jesus was...

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and !
Mamma mia , explain that one as well please

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
Hamilton was a punk who tried to cheat when he fought a duel against Aaron Burr (the bastard founding father).

https://vimeo.com/35158591

I bet they left out the fact that Hamilton cheated in that duel out of that dopey play.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liberal retelling of American history...WHITEY BAD. Rather stick needles in my eye than support this sort of garbage.

Dmac

Posts: 22 | Location: Coastal Massachusetts | Registered: July 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a shocking expose, the Washington Post reveals that some people did not like Hamilton, even after spending only $600 per ticket:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.31af2ee166c9

Unsatisfied: Meet the people who have some reservations about ‘Hamilton’

By Zachary Pincus-Roth
September 21

After the final performance of “Hamilton” at the Kennedy Center last Sunday, Jim Barnett and Faye Elkins stood on the terrace overlooking the Potomac River. The couple, from Bethesda, had bought the tickets three days earlier, when they realized the show was about to end, spending $1,200 for the pair on StubHub.

I asked whether “Hamilton,” the groundbreaking musical by composer-lyricist Lin-Manuel Miranda, had lived up to their expectations. They actually hadn’t talked about it yet. Elkins quickly said yes. But Barnett shifted his feet, turned his head, scrunched his face. He was preparing to disagree.

I imagine that’s a difficult thing to do. “Hamilton” has won Tony Awards, Olivier Awards, a Grammy, a Pulitzer Prize and the first Kennedy Center Honors ever given to a work of art and not a person. It has been hailed as a landmark for bringing hip-hop seamlessly into a Broadway musical, for its nontraditional casting of minorities as white Founding Fathers, and for its thrilling execution of the American origin story. Who are the few poor souls who don’t actually like this thing?

It’s hard enough to exit a theater and hear your spouse hail a work as brilliant and then look them in the eye and declare that they’re wrong. Imagine disputing thousands of fans, every possible awards-bestowing body and Michelle Obama. An aesthetic disagreement can often feel like a moral one.

But in a search over a few days, I found that there are more detractors than one might think. And, it turns out, they aren’t snowflakes. They can handle the consequences.

One “Hamilton” skeptic I found via a callout on Facebook was, in fact, my musical theater writing teacher from college, Jay Kerr, who runs (and is trying to sell) a theater in Upstate New York.

“The writing is sloppy,” Kerr said via email. “Rhymes are not true” — some are not exact rhymes, but merely sound similar to rhymes — “and could be if he spent five more minutes. Good writing takes second place to the overall concept.”

"it’s not PC to criticize it,” he said. “And the common retort is, ‘If you know so much, how come [Miranda] is the famous one and no one [cares] what you think?’ ”

Via the Reddit forum “unpopularopinion,” I found Alice Harrington, an administrative assistant in Boston, who said she found the show “simply average” — in part because “the rap-esque songs felt gimmicky.” She prefers shows like “Wicked” and “South Pacific.”

Most people, Harrington said via direct message, “couldn’t care less” about her reservations, though she did get into a fight with a fellow theater-loving friend at a community theater audition. “She gave me the most horrified look,” Harrington said, and called her “uncultured.” (They laughed it off the next day.)

Also through Reddit came Romy Fischer, a paralegal living in Brooklyn, who felt unmoved by the show but told hardly anyone: “My feelings just come across as really negative, so there’s no point in spreading that kind of bad juju.

“My co-workers are all obsessed,” she added. “I just couldn’t bear to disappoint them.”

Even some public figures have been critical. The actress Casey Wilson has expressed her distaste for “Hamilton” on her podcast. On LeBron James’s HBO talk show, “The Shop,” actor-comedian Jerrod Carmichael called it “terrible” and “the best community center performance” he’d ever seen.

“It just sounded like when they sent people to rap multiplication to me when I was an inner-city youth, ’cause they’re like, that’s the way we’re going to get through to them,” he said.

Several academics have picked the show apart, while acknowledging they couldn’t help but enjoy themselves.

Lyra D. Monteiro, an assistant professor of history and American studies at Rutgers University at Newark, has written that “Hamilton” perpetuates the trend of “founders chic,” which venerates figures such as George Washington while forgetting their slave-owning sins, as the race-blind casting masks this issue.

“For goodness sake, why are we still venerating these guys?” Monteiro said in an interview. “If you had to put all the slaves owned by Washington, Jefferson and Madison on that stage, they wouldn’t fit.”

"I am not at all shy about how much personally I love it as a show,” she added. “But for me, understanding what’s problematic about it helps me appreciate it more and helps me understand more what is possible.”

Donatella Galella, an assistant professor of theater history and theory at University of California at Riverside, who has also written about the show, feels similarly. “There is that deep ambivalence — I am moved by the show, I admire it so much, and at the same time it’s seducing me with its nationalist ethos,” she said.

She feels that “Hamilton” offers a “celebratory American nationalism and mythmaking that a lot of people long for. It offers this assurance that if you work hard enough you’ll be successful,” while playing down the systemic obstacles.

Galella takes pride in expressing unpopular opinions. She considers herself a “feminist killjoy,” a term in academia for “a figure who points out how everything is terrible and people blame her for the problem rather than the troubling material,” as she described it.

Still, Galella once saw Miranda on the New York subway as they headed uptown. She recalled that as she got out at 168th Street, she turned to him and said, “You are a genius” — and he bowed his head.

On Sunday, after that last performance at the Kennedy Center, I talked to 20 people who probably would have been even more effusive. They were over the moon just fine, thank you very much.

Barnett, however, standing on the terrace next to his wife, wasn’t one of them. “I’ve seen a lot of plays where I’ve had that rush of emotion,” he said. “I didn’t have that.

“I want to be careful about saying ‘didn’t like.’ ” He was grasping for why — he wanted to explain. “I had a hard time falling in love with the characters,” he added. “There wasn’t that moment where I wanted to leap out of my seat and applaud enthusiastically.”

The only other semblance of a malcontent I could find was Madelyn McClung, of Carroll County, Md., who bought a $600 ticket to see it with her brother. She called the show “a little clunky” and said “the exposition was a little forced.” But she hadn’t expected to love it anyway.

“I know the history, dude,” she said. “He was kind of a rat.”

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
LOL... talking about CATS...

I was about 20 and stupid madly in love with this girl like you are when that age, and took her to see CATS because she wanted to see it. Man, not even 20 year old googly eyed love could make me sit through that steaming pile of shit.

Now that I am older, crankier, and haven't seen or heard from that girl in 25 years, you couldn't get me to sit through that at gun point.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
..you couldn't get me to sit through that at gun point.

Hmmm, enough with the cat plays? Wink

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My real problem is a number of years ago I read the Biography of Ahren Burr by Gore Vidal and it was not complimentary of Alexander Hamilton.. in fact Vidal claimed that Hamilton believed that anyone in a high political position should use that position to make themselves wealthy.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I’ll stick with 1776. Great play and movie.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My son wanted dearly to see this play.

Just got home. I'm absolutely embarrassed about how much money we spent on the tickets.

The music was great. The actors did fantastic. That said, I did not enjoy it. My son, however, did. So it was worth it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants to know what Hamilton was really like then check out the book Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. I just finished reading it: It is outstanding.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Did the play have slaves? Were the slaves White?

Was Hamilton portrayed as the corrupt politician he actually was? And of course Arron Burr was no better.

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Hamilton never owned any slaves. Passing him off as just another corrupt politician is unfair and inaccurate. He was one of our founding fathers and was indispensable in getting our country started, particularly financially. Our republic was on very shaky ground back then and things could have quite easily turned out much worse (look at the countries south of us).

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
On Disney+ today. Not sure if it is a one day only thing.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If it were up to me, I'd close their shit down and force those assholes to work at a carwash for five years.

Big Grin

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I had a chance to see it with free tickets but I said NO.A

Same casting policy in San Francisco and L.A. Liberals denied this was "reverse racism".
Fuck 'em.

I understand where you’re coming from, but the roles in the show call for non-white actors, and this is not an uncommon practice in the theater world. Or Hollywood, for that matter.
After seeing that casting call I would be turned off. That plus the fact I do not like musicals old new or whatever.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hamilton's real-life story is remarkable, and a testament to the opportunity that has existed in America. His influence was truly one of the pillars upon which our country was built.

The play repackages that remarkable story to be easily digestible for folks who could give two shits about actual history.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
WHO would pay SIX HUNDRED dollars fvor a musical? That astounds me.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post