SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Why is the musical play "Hamilton" such a big hit?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is the musical play "Hamilton" such a big hit? Login/Join 
posted
I've read about it for a couple years, it's now playing in Des Moines (cheapest ticket is $200!) and the paper raved over the show:

https://www.desmoinesregister....cast-tour/737485002/

The play got some publicity (positive to the left, negative for most of us) when they lectured VP Mike Pence last year. I was not impressed.

Why is "Hamilton" such a big hit?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
It is a very entertaining and unique show - different from the typical broadway musical.

But it's hard not to think that much of the acclaim has to do with virtue signaling and "wokeness" as represented by it's hip-hop music and the founding fathers played by black and latino actors.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a great show. The story is the story of America. An orphan with nothing rose to the highest heights because he was ambitious, smart, and a work horse. The songs are on point. It has a bit of hip hop flair for sure but it's more in the swagger of some of the characters than anything else. Yes, some of the lyrics are rapped but it's not a three hour rap show. The torch song stands with any that came before. It's serious, it's funny, it's tragic, it's America.

Anything that gets folks interested in American history, the constitution, the ideas of the founders, etc. is a good thing.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The music is fantastic. The writing, story telling, arrangements, vocals. Set aside an hour and listen to the cast recording. It's on youtube, spotify, etc.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to see it with free tickets but I said NO.

Same casting policy in San Francisco and L.A. Liberals denied this was "reverse racism".
Fuck 'em.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16662 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I had a chance to see it with free tickets but I said NO.

Same casting policy in San Francisco and L.A. Liberals denied this was "reverse racism".
Fuck 'em.

I understand where you’re coming from, but the roles in the show call for non-white actors, and this is not an uncommon practice in the theater world. Or Hollywood, for that matter.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If it were up to me, I'd close their shit down and force those assholes to work at a carwash for five years.

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've been forced to watch some of the cast and part of the production with my wife on pbs and to be honest I don't get it... but then I'm not very refined or sophisticated. I might actually enjoy it if she forces me to go to a live performance... but I really have a problem wrapping my head around a black person playing one of our white forefathers or even a woman playing a man I think.... still on the rare occasion I go to a big musical like this I am amazed at the choreography that is done....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
It's also bad history. My current g/f is a distant relative to General Lafayette, and "Hamilton" acts like the Marquis De Lafayette knew Hamilton before he showed up in America to volunteer his services. Lafayette was never a member of the "Sons of Liberty" and only met Hamilton when he was appointed as part of Washington's staff.

-Tom

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Replacement Tommel,

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember all the hoopla about Cats, how wonderful it was, how many years it was on Broadway, etc. I lasted 15 minutes before walking out. I doubt I would last that long with Hamilton.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Remember all the hoopla about Cats, how wonderful it was, how many years it was on Broadway, etc. I lasted 15 minutes before walking out. I doubt I would last that long with Hamilton.

In the early 80s I was in NJ for a weeks training. Went into NYC for the weekend and everyone was spouting "ooh, you gotta go see Cats". Screw that, I went to see the Empire State Building and other NYC landmarks.

As for "Hamilton", I don't care how "good" some folks think it is - I'm not interested. Between its casting premise and its cast's politics that show will never see a plugged nickel of my money or a moment of TV viewing. No habla libtard.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Seen about 15 minutes of it and it ain’t for me. Musicals might as well sound like the dentist drill to me.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12617 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
The cast of Hamilton, now playing at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC, sang the "Stars Spangled Banner" at this July 4th's Washington Nationals game. They also sang "God Bless America" during the seventh inning stretch.

Both were extremely well done, and the crowd loved it.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Catnip for libtards...

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Hamilton could be considered a liberal out of the Founding Fathers, so they love him.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:

As for "Hamilton", I don't care how "good" some folks think it is - I'm not interested. Between its casting premise and its cast's politics that show will never see a plugged nickel of my money or a moment of TV viewing. No habla libtard.

Same here. It was here in Chicago and my sister called me and said “you HAVE to see it”. Um, no thanks.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6393 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Hamilton could be considered a liberal out of the Founding Fathers, so they love him.

Jefferson, too was "a liberal," but he had slaves, so he is da debil.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I don’t give a shit how good it might be, I wouldn’t pay a penny to see it. Racist casting and SJW nonsense? GTFO of here with that bullshit.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:

I understand where you’re coming from, but the roles in the show call for non-white actors, and this is not an uncommon practice in the theater world. Or Hollywood, for that matter.

Is lecturing politicians in the audience also a common practice?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:

Is lecturing politicians in the audience also a common practice?

While that was a one time occurrence, and stupid and inappropriate, it doesn't change the fact that the musical itself is very entertaining, the music is fantastic, and while not 100% accurate, tells a great story of our country's history. I didn't find any leftist agenda the two times I saw it live, and the countless times I've listened to the cast recording.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post