SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What to read next....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to read next.... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I need something to read. I am a voracious reader, I like history, sci fi, fantasy, politics, mystery, biography whatever. Large tomes don't bother me, in fact I enjoy an epic 1000 page story.

Suggestions?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Just finished these two by Victor DAvis Hanson. Good stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Savior-...8&sr=8-7&tag=mh0b-20

https://www.amazon.com/Father-...&sr=8-10&tag=mh0b-20

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Large tomes? Epic fantasy? How about Robert Jorden's Wheel of Time series? 14 books, most about 800 pages or so. The first book is titled The Eye of the World.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Orson Scott Card: Ender/Shadow series
4 & 4 books in the base series, respectively, with some side stories here & there.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I just finished ‘Winds of War’ & ‘War and Remembrance’ by Herman Wouk. Long books but excellent. They portray WW2 in both Europe and the Pacific.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sanderson’s Mistborn series. I really liked it.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m reading “The Iliad” right now. Your post lead me to believe you might like to read it too.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Jim Butcher, "Dresden Chronicles" Modern Fantasy

Neil Shusterman, "Arc of a Scythe trilogy" Dystopian/utopian future

Neil Gaiman...well anything by NG is good for me.

I'm listening to "Red Sparrow" right now and really enjoying it.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Bottle of Lies: The Inside Story of the Generic Drug Boom, Katherine Eban 2019

Dersu the Trapper (Prin taigaua Extremului Orient #2), by Vladimir Arsenyev 1923

Why We Get Sick: The Hidden Epidemic at the Rood of Most Chronic Disease and How to Fight It, Benjamin Bikman 2020

Mike Bowditch series

Leaphorn & Chee series

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm trying hard to finish Ian W. Toll's "Six Frigates" so I can start on his Pacific war trilogy.

Also waiting on the third volume of James Holland's War in the West trilogy on the European theater. I keep looking for a publication date but haven't found it yet.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyAgShooter:
I'm trying hard to finish Ian W. Toll's "Six Frigates" so I can start on his Pacific war trilogy.

Also waiting on the third volume of James Holland's War in the West trilogy on the European theater. I keep looking for a publication date but haven't found it yet.

Six frigates got to be a bit of a slog.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
4 & 4 books in the base series, respectively, with some side stories here & there.

^I second that, have read the series more than once. Currently reading Card's Homecoming saga a second time right now. Great writer

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Shogun by James Clavell

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiwimon:
quote:

^I second that, have read the series more than once. Currently reading Card's Homecoming saga a second time right now. Great writer

I think I've read the core Ender/Shadow series 3 or 4 times.
Was pretty disappointed in the movie adaptation of Ender's Game, but I've read EG probably a dozen times.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
James Clavell
The whole series is excellent.

King Rat (1962)
Tai-Pan (1966)
Shogun (1975)
Noble House (1981)
Whirlwind (1986)
Gai-Jin (1993)

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Reading...that's always been tough for me. My Dad was an avid reader. Want to punish me .....sentence me to have to read a book. It was so hard for me to do reading homework in school. My mind would always wander thinking about something else I could be doing. It's funny though I was a whiz at spelling. And was happy to read aloud in class . But to sit down and read a book, torture.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tiwimon:
quote:

I think I've read the core Ender/Shadow series 3 or 4 times.
Was pretty disappointed in the movie adaptation of Ender's Game, but I've read EG probably a dozen times.

I'm currently reading the second trilogy concerning the First Formic War, when humanity first encounters the Formics. The final (sixth) novel comes out in December. They're pretty short compared with what the OP wants, though.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Im fine with short, as long as its good!

I was just pointing out I enjoy reading and while some people get scared when you recommend a 5000 page epic, that doesnt bother me, I enjoy long epic stories and series.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I'm currently reading the second trilogy concerning the First Formic War, when humanity first encounters the Formics. The final (sixth) novel comes out in December. They're pretty short compared with what the OP wants, though.

Will have to look into those.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just be aware that the first three novels (first trilogy) are about the actual First Formic War. The second trilogy--at least, the first two novels in the second trilogy--is about the race to prepare for the second Formic invasion. A lot less action but still interesting.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post