SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What to read next....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to read next.... Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Just be aware that the first three novels (first trilogy) are about the actual First Formic War. The second trilogy--at least, the first two novels in the second trilogy--is about the race to prepare for the second Formic invasion. A lot less action but still interesting.

I've been an Ender fan since High School & enjoyed some of the peripheral Ender/Shadow books/short stories.
Would be good to add to/complete the collection

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Apocalypse Never by Michael Shellenberger

Insider examination of the so called "climate change" issue and exposé of the real motivations of the people pushing the hype...

https://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Never-Environmental-Alarmism-Hurts/dp/0063001691

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiggiGirl
posted Hide Post
I enjoy reading historical fiction - particularly English history and the American Civil War.
The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks was pretty good. It was the first book that I read which featured a southern pov.
The Killer Angels by Shaara, Michael
The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael - great murder mystery books from medieval england
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Posts: 28 | Location: Boston | Registered: October 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiggiGirl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
Shogun by James Clavell

YES! what a great novel! i craved sushi through out the book! Loved it!

Posts: 28 | Location: Boston | Registered: October 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
You might like David McCullough:

The Wright Brothers
The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914
Brave Companions: Portraits in History
The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West
The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge
The Johnstown Flood

Or Stephen E. Ambrose:

Lewis & Clark: Voyage of Discovery
Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad
- haven't read Band of Brothers yet

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If you really want to test yourself with tomes, "The Laws of Nations" by Emer de Vattell will separate the men from the wonks in short order.

Deep history? "The Forge of Christendom" and "Persian Fire" by Tom Holland aren't the very best, but they're both definitely worthwhile reads.

Something different in history? I highly recommend the various books about Texas and Mexico by Charles Harris and Louis Sadler, with "The Plan De San Diego" and "The Secret War in El Paso" being standouts.

Wanna see someone have fun with words over drinks? "Predjudices" by H.L. Menken.

Mindless pastiche? The Warlock Holmes series by G.S. Denning.

Historical travelogues that are actually pretty damned good? "American Writings" (et al.) from the Library of America and "The New Orleans of Lafcadio Hearn" as edited by Delia LaBarre, both by Lafcadio Hearn.

Normally Christopher Moore is just a hair too precious (his "Noir" was actually irritating, and the more so since it could've been brilliant), but his Jester books (eg., "The Serpent of Venice") can be really good. "Bleu" is passable if you happen to be in the mood.

Historical mysteries? The Fools Guild series by Alan Gordon and the Giordano Bruno series by S.J. Parris both come recommended.

Viva la Kung Flu Cabin Fever!

ETA: Don't know how I forgot this, but for truly good and truly mindless medieval humor, try the various books by "Howard of Warwick".

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Two recent ones my owners recommended and I enjoyed:

Flash Boys

Unscaled

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
The President’s Club (please see my post on page 3 of The Lair)

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The Aubrey-Maturin series of nautical historical novels by Patrick O'Brian. It's 20+ books which can be read as standalones or as one 5000+ page super-novel with about 20 parts. It's arguably the best historical fiction ever written.

I've read them all but not in order. Rereading them in order is my next reading project.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides about Kit Carson and the war with Mexico.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides about Kit Carson and the war with Mexico.

This is a terrific book. Hampton Sides has written other very good books, too. You might like his "Ghost Soldiers" or "On Desperate Ground", stories about WW II and Korea.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Recently discovered historical non-fiction by Winston Groom, the author of Forrest Gump. Finished The Aviators, which dealt with Eddie Rickenbacker, Charles Lindbergh, and Jimmy Doolittle.
Now reading Kearny’s March, about the era of the Mexican War and the “liberation” of California and the Southwest by Stephen Kearny and John Fremont.

For a general-interest WW II trilogy, Rick Atkinson’s trilogy is great. He has started on a trilogy about the Revolutionary War, of which the first volume is out.

I just finished reading all the Jerry Pournelle sci-fi I could find, and I’m sorry I can’t find more.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Lot's of really good suggestions. I'll strongly recommend Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. An experienced, voracious reader that enjoys all genres might really appreciate this work.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, Isaac Asimov's Robot Series, Foundation Series and the Empire Series are the greatest science fiction ever written.

I have read every book in those series many times and I have most, if not all of them in my library.

Rather than attempt to list the books here I would suggest you go to the following link. It shows all the books and a couple of reading orders.

If you haven't read all of these and attempt to read the entire list through, be prepared for quite an undertaking.

It will be worth the time!

https://www.howtoread.me/found...ries-books-in-order/

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
P.S.

Thank you Lord Valic for starting this thread and to all of those who have replied with many suggestions.

Some of those have reminded me of books I have read and need to re-read. Even more have been listed of which I was not aware and really need to get onto my reading list.

Thank you!!!

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’ve finished reading my second Winston Groom (author of Forrest Gump) history books.
This was Kearny’s March, about the “liberation” of California and the Southwest in the 1840’s, during the Mexican War.
Many famous characters were involved, including John Fremont, Kit Carson and Jim Bridger; the story of the Donner Party is retold; and for the first time I read about the Battle of San Pasqual and the US conquest of San Diego. Lots of harrowing ordeals and numerous battles. Stories of great courage and great cowardice. All very well written, as you would expect from Groom. If you live in San Diego as I now do, you start recognizing that “Kearny Mesa”, “Kearny Villa” etc. are all named for Stephen Watts Kearny, who has not achieved the fame he deserves, based on Groom’s history. Kearny had to have John Fremont court-martialed because Fremont refused to recognize Kearny as his superior officer in the US Army and direct orders from President Polk that Kearny was to be governor of California in the event of its conquest.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
How about the Anabasis by Xenophon?

Or the modern update, “The Last Centurion” by John Ringo...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m intrigued, feersum. Both will be added to my reading list. I’m kind of committed to “The Odyssey” after I finish “The Iliad,” and I think I should read Virgil too. Thanks for your recommendations

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" series (and there's a short book that's a prequel; so be sure and find it too. I can get name if you need)

Will take you a good long time to read them all, and it kept my attention the entire way - and ends well.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post