SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What to read next....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to read next.... Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Has anyone mentioned Hyperion by Dan Simmons, yet? LOL I've tried reading that novel three times. I made it all the way to the individual stories and gave up on my last attempt.

Another couple of short novels are The Martian and Artemis by Andy Weir. The Martian, of course, is an awesome novel. Artemis reads more like a young adult story.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Seveneves, by Neal Stephenson.

for something new:

The Cold Vanish: Seeking the Missing in North America's Wildlands, by Jon Billman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: f2,

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Seveneves was a great book.

Asimov Foundation series

Just finished Michael Connleys Bosch series....best cop book series I’ve ever read, I saw one, ONE gun mistake....and all of the procedure was very similar to real investigation...

In fact I started reading the Lincoln Lawyer series because he’s related to Bosch (same author)

I get them online and usually am done in 8-9 hours...

Big fan of the Jeff Shaara series, historical fiction...

And starship troopers

Thomas Harris- Hannibal series

DouglaS Addams’ four book trilogy....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Just finished Michael Connleys Bosch series....best cop book series I’ve ever read, I saw one, ONE gun mistake....and all of the procedure was very similar to real investigation...

In fact I started reading the Lincoln Lawyer series because he’s related to Bosch (same author)
glock safety lol.

don't forget his Jack McEvoy and Terry McCaleb series.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne.

In perusing the book section in my local thrift store I ran across a copy. Only a couple chapters in but it's a good escape from current affairs. As an aside, I remember the 2003 movie The Missing with Tommy Lee Jones, although that was Apache and in the 1880s. That slow roasting scene stuck in my head.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My suggestions are probably mundane and you've most likely already read them.

The Fountainhead
Atlas Shrugged
The 6 Dune books
Ringworld
Playground of the Mind is a collection of short stories by Larry Niven
Pebble in the Sky
Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I would suggest William Gibson. Amazing writer.

Neuromancer, Count Zero , Mona Lisa Overdrive, in that order followed by Pattern Recognition.

He has others more recent but I haven't read them yet.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
quote:
Originally posted by NavyAgShooter:
I'm trying hard to finish Ian W. Toll's "Six Frigates" so I can start on his Pacific war trilogy.

Also waiting on the third volume of James Holland's War in the West trilogy on the European theater. I keep looking for a publication date but haven't found it yet.

Six frigates got to be a bit of a slog.

Agree. I like Ian Toll, but did not really care for Six Frigates. However, I've read the first two volumes of the Pacific trilogy (Pacific Crucible and The Conquering Tide) adnd thought they were both excellent. I got the third volume (Twilight of the Gods) a few weeks ago but haven't started it yet.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Atlas Shrugged

The first time I read Atlas Shrugged, I thought it was brilliant.

I read it again a few years late and kept thinking 'Why doesn't this self-absorbed blowhard get to the point?' Cool

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
All of the "John Grimes" books by A Bertram Chandler

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
I would suggest William Gibson. Amazing writer.

Neuromancer, Count Zero , Mona Lisa Overdrive, in that order followed by Pattern Recognition.

He has others more recent but I haven't read them yet.

Agreed. Another excellent sci-fi writer is Iain M Banks. The "Culture" series - Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, The State of the Art, Use of Weapons, Excession
Inversions, Look to Windward, Matter, Surface Detail, The Hydrogen Sonata.

I'd start with "The Player of Games"

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Atlas Shrugged

The first time I read Atlas Shrugged, I thought it was brilliant.

I read it again a few years late and kept thinking 'Why doesn't this self-absorbed blowhard get to the point?' Cool
Big Grin I feel ya.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Another series that's turning out really good: C.J. Box' Joe Pickett series.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm reading this on my new Kindle and it's pretty good so far:

Accidental Warrior: The Unlikely Tale of Bloody Hal

Link

quote:

Hal Christianson, 18, from White Plains, New York, is a 2016 American college freshman stranded in a cave on a dark and stormy night after a party. He literally falls into an alternative North America--the same place, in 2016, but now a semi-wild country, where Colonial-era levels of technology, values, and power struggles prevail. A friendly "woodsranger" explains, conveniently, the back story. The American Revolution never happened. Instead, an extinction-level plague swept 17th-century Europe, sending boatloads of refugees bearing remnants of their rival imperial cultures--English, Dutch, French, and Spanish--to the New World. They wage war with one another over territorial domination in between truces and trading alliances. Hal (fortunately, a member of a school fencing team) adapts to this new abnormal with some finesse and a bit of luck that earn him a useful but reluctant reputation as a serious fighter. He accompanies a Swedish merchant expedition (actually a cover for gunrunning) to Nieuw Amsterdam--the island city fort that should have been New York--on faint hints that somebody there might comprehend his predicament and know how to send him back to his rightful world. Meanwhile, Hal stumbles into intrigues, romance, and an incipient insurgency. There are ingredients for a YA swashbuckler in this smart, energetic alternative-history opus from pseudonymous author Alexander (Lady of Ice and Fire, 1995). But between the sex, swearing, and gore, the lively antics remain consistently R-rated. Alexander succinctly sketches details of this brutal, archaic milieu, mainly in terms of military troop movements and command virtues (or lack thereof). Further subtleties of this class-bound alternate America tend to be marginalized or only inferred. Native Americans are remote "savages"; people of color only appear low in the ranks of the Dutch; Massachusetts Puritans have the continent's only democratic government but are otherwise distant, religious-fanatic menaces. Still, the pace and action never let up. Adventurous readers should find themselves acclimating to this raw, rustic, rough-and-tumble environment just as the plucky teenage protagonist does.
A rousing what-if look at a decidedly different America persuasively stuck in a historical past." - Kirkus Reviews

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Though probably not the most popular read, just in case I'll throw it in, the Bible. Just finished my last read from 10/2019- 8/2020 which has made it my 4th complete read at 5-10 chapters a day. Without question, each read solidify's reinforcement and always and uniquely find something that applies to daily circumstances.

It's just my daily commitment I made. Of course, I'm not fanatical about it or attend Church, it's just a personal quest, staying in touch I guess.

I've been an avid reader all my life and read of have small libraries of selections and collections as many probably do in this thread. My interest are varied as my latest book sitting here on my computer desk, "Encounter In Rendlesham Forest" by Nick Pope previous MoD. So I even dig in those areas of interests so, my tastes swing wide.

Thanks for the topic because I was thinking about my next book interests, and I certainly don't mind the longer reads like yourself. All my life I've always love expanding my interests and everything is game..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post