SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Four Season in Havana (Cuatro Estaciones en La Habana) (Netflix)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Four Season in Havana (Cuatro Estaciones en La Habana) (Netflix) Login/Join 
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted
A Spanish/Cuban production of four episodes in the life (and year) of a Cuban police detective in Havana. Although I won't call it great, I very much enjoyed this.

Even though it's a familiar story of a conflicted, flawed, but very good, does-it-his-own way police lieutenant; gruff, but protective boss; frequently exasperated, but loyal partner; various love interests, met through the job; fighting the good fight against brown-nosers and upper-echelon corruption -- the Havana scenery and setting drew me in. As did the acting of the lead protaganist and pretty much the rest of the cast, especially his buddies.

With the lead's friends acting as a kind of Greek Chorus, we get insight into the mid-generation of Cuba -- those in their fifties and their struggle with the love of their country and culture yet well aware of its many flaws.

I'm not going into plots, because, for me, that's not always the point--here, the mood created, the obvious affection among the characters, the dialogue, etc., (even though in subtitles) are what make this for me.

Again, not brilliant, but as good as most, including Bosch. And I'm excited that after ten years of small children, I'm somehow able to settle down enough once they're in bed to reengage subtitles.

Please don't clutter the thread (if anyone actually replies) with political crap -- the issues presented in this series are the same as many American cop show (think L.A. Confidential and other Ellroy books), just with a twist.

ETA: Appears they carry, unsurprisingly, some sort of Makarov.

http://variety.com/2016/film/f...n-havana-1201756424/

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post