SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Alone - Mongolia
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alone - Mongolia Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I'm curious where they find these so-called "expert" survivalists. Roll Eyes

These people are idiots who wouldn't know how to survive without a WalMart around the corner.

Food, water, and shelter. It ain't rocket surgery.

It makes good TV I guess. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gustofer,

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been watching it. With the gear they have, its more primitive camping than actual survival. You don't build a log cabin when "surviving".
And who goes to a remote foreign country like Mongolia with MS?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have enjoyed every episode of the series. Yes, they do have quite a bit of gear, but the challenge facing them goes beyond shelter. If they don't properly manage their caloric intake (and this has occurred with some of the better prepared contestants), their judgment becomes impaired and physical hardships are amplified.

Even the most knowledgeable participants have ALL been severely affected by the psychological reactions to isolation. Remember there's no camera crew around. All the video work is done by the participants and help only arrives if a transponder is activated or they fail to send regularly scheduled electronic messages indicating they're okay. I find it sad that some of these folks are so unprepared for the mental challenges that they quit within days or even hours of starting, but viewers really have to acknowledge how tough one is mentally to get through months of this stuff. After all, the end is never really "in sight" since you don't know when the second to last challenger will quit.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, but it can damn sure get tough if you don’t have enough of the first.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I'm curious where they find these so-called "expert" survivalists. Roll Eyes

These people are idiots who wouldn't know how to survive without a WalMart around the corner.

It makes good TV I guess. Roll Eyes

When are you going on the show to show them how it's done?

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
But they are all posted on a river full of fish. They are in country that is home to grouse, rabbits, snakes, squirrels, deer, etc.... They were able to bring with them fishing gear and archery equipment.

How can you be an "expert survivalist" and not be able to acquire food when you are surrounded by it and have the means to kill it?

How can you be an "expert survivalist" and consider a lean-to made from a plastic tarp in that kind of country is adequate shelter?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

That second one is pretty important too!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

That second one is pretty important too!

Doesn’t seem to be in short supply there

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post