SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite Billy Wilder movie?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Billy Wilder movie? Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Got a mini-Wilder film festival going. Rewatched Sunset Boulevard and Stalag 17. Also saw Love in the Afternoon, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, and Ace in the Hole.

Did not recall lighting the match to the beard bit in Stalag 17, which is preceded twice using the other guy's jacket. Kurt Douglas' version in Ace in the Hole uses the typewriter carriage return. Scenes from The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes reminded me of Robert Altman.

I'll probably watch Irma La Douce and The Spirit of St. Louis next.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Got a mini-Wilder film festival going. Rewatched Sunset Boulevard and Stalag 17. Also saw Love in the Afternoon, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, and Ace in the Hole.

Did not recall lighting the match to the beard bit in Stalag 17, which is preceded twice using the other guy's jacket. Kurt Douglas' version in Ace in the Hole uses the typewriter carriage return. Scenes from The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes reminded me of Robert Altman.

I'll probably watch Irma La Douce and The Spirit of St. Louis next.

William Holden lit a match off the stubble on Neville Brand's face. It was a great scene!

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
I watched One, Two, Three last weekend. Although the movie is dated is still holds up very well. It’s worth seeing if only for James Cagney’s manic performance.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Double Indemnity

"Let's ride"....

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Did not recall lighting the match to the beard bit in Stalag 17, which is preceded twice using the other guy's jacket. Kurt Douglas' version in Ace in the Hole uses the typewriter carriage return.
And Fred MacMurray lights matches with one hand by striking them with his thumb in Double Indemnity.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Did not recall lighting the match to the beard bit in Stalag 17, which is preceded twice using the other guy's jacket. Kurt Douglas' version in Ace in the Hole uses the typewriter carriage return.
And Fred MacMurray lights matches with one hand by striking them with his thumb in Double Indemnity.

That's right! Robert Stephens used a zippo in The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

Just saw Sonny Corleone's film debut in Irma La Douce.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'll have to go with Stalog 17 since when I was a teenager it taught me the simplest way to make a 7 minute fuse.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I'll have to go with Stalog 17 since when I was a teenager it taught me the simplest way to make a 7 minute fuse.....

"Ach so..."

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Watched Avanti! with Jack Lemmon yesterday - enjoyed it. Watching Kiss Me, Stupid right now (Dean Martin, My Favorite Martian, Kim Novak).

Is this a bit of terrific, hmm? Last night she was banging on my door for 45 minutes. And I wouldn't let her out.

- Dean Martin

posted Hide Post
quote:
In Stalag 17, the scene where William Holden lights the match off of Neville Brand's beard. Big Grin

He just wanted to steel our wire cutters.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Netflix last weekend I finally watched the only Billy Wilder (directed) movie I had never seen, The Front Page. It was enjoyable enough but certainly not up to the greatness of his earlier films.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Witness for the Prosecution

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Stalag 17, the scene where William Holden lights the match off of Neville Brand's beard. Big Grin

Side note: Neville Brand was the fourth most decorated American Soldier in WWII.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post