SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Keyboard Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keyboard Question Login/Join 
Picture of BrianC
posted
My original iMac keyboard got damaged, so I bought one from Staples that is compatible with both Macs and PCs (I'm told most are these days). It works fine, except I an't use keystrokes for, say, saving (Ctrl S), copying (Ctrl C), etc. I can perform the functions using the drop down menu, but it's cumbersome. Does anyone know how I can utilize these functions? Any advice is appreciated.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
You should be able to "remap" the keyboard:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-...lents-to-mac-2260203

Typically, if you're using a "Windows" keyboard with a Mac, the key equivalents are:
Control = CTRL
Option = Alt
Command = Windows

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Mostly the answer is move your thumb over one key. Big Grin (hit the windows key instead of where the command should be)

I'm in the middle of this myself, using a "pc" keyboard at the moment as I killed my last Mac keyboard. My play was to buy a "mac layout" keyboard in a week or two, but I'm starting to get used to the PC layout and may not.

(my real problem isn't at home, it's on the PC at work. Before they were different enough that I kept the shortcuts straight. Now not as much)

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I've always had to remap my windows keyboard to match the Mac equivalent as best as possible.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post