SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    recommend some good WWII books...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

recommend some good WWII books... Login/Join 
posted
Have been reading on this subject lately - Citizen Soldiers, Soldat and The Forgotten Soldier recently.

What have you read that you would recommend?

Looking at The Sergeant in the Snow next.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is a huge category. Is there any topic or genre you are more interested in?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished "The Great Raid" by Breuer. I enjoyed it.

I am still haunted by some of the passages in "The Forgotten Soldier".

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
That is a huge category. Is there any topic or genre you are more interested in?

The last 2 have been on the Eastern Front more or less. Also read The Jungle is Neutral (Malaysia insurgency...).

Ground war ... so maybe I should read some on aviation or naval warfare.

Like you said - broad topics but any of it is fascinating.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently reading about Gallipoli, but that is WW1.

US Navy salvage during and before WW2, a really good author is Edward Ellsberg. Some of his stuff is in reprint. More of his stuff is on audio CD's, very good listening if you are traveling. A number of his books are autobiographies. On this list are : Under the Red Sea Sun. No Banners, No Bugles, and The Far Shore (unique view of Normandy invasion).

Hard hat diving by someone that spent serious time in the suit.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
30 Seconds Over Tokyo. It is about the Doolittle raid and is written by one of the pilots.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
For something a bit different Col. Ernest Dupuy St. Vith: Lion in the Way is something I really need to revisit. Not the most well written book but another I found interesting was Joesph Harrington Yankee Samurai.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Currently reading James Hornfischer book The Fleet at Flood Tide.

I like the way he tells the stories. Also, his book, The last stand of the tin can sailors is awesome.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Lemme see here... I've read a ton of WW2 books, and these are the ones that come to mind.

Memoirs:

Soldat and The Forgotten Solider, which you've already read, were excellent choices.

With The Old Breed - Eugene Sledge (USMC mortarman in the Pacific)

Sniper on the Eastern Front - Sepp Allerberger/Albrecht Wacker (German sniper in Russia)

Panzer Commander - Hans Von Luck (German tank officer in France, North Africa, and Russia)

Company Commander - Charles MacDonald (US Army infantry officer in Europe)

Few Returned - Eugenio Corti (Italian Army officer in Russia; unfortunately the sequel - The Last Soldiers of the King - wasn't nearly as good...)

Death Traps - Belton Cooper (US Army armored division maintenance officer in Europe)

And No Birds Sang - Farley Mowat (Canadian infantry officer in Italy)

Bugles and a Tiger/The Road Past Mandalay - John Masters (British officer with the Ghurkas in Southeast Asia)

Defeat Into Victory - William Slim (British general rebuilding British forces in Southeast Asia)

WW2 nonfiction:

Anything by Anthony Beevor

Anything by Max Hastings

Anything by Stephen Ambrose (You've already read Citizen Soldiers)

The Liberation Trilogy - Rick Atkinson (excellent 3-volume overview of the US military in North Africa, Italy, and Europe from 1942-1945)

WW2 Fiction:

War of the Rats - Daniel Robbins (fictional take on the fighting in Stalingrad, especially a German/Soviet sniper duel; served as the basis for the film "Enemy at the Gates")

Killing Rommel - Steven Pressfield (fictional take on the British Long Range Desert Group/SAS in North Africa)

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brothers in Arms - Peter Duffy
My War - Andy Rooney
Tenozan - George Feifer
Fly For Your Life - Larry Forrester
The Cactus Air Force - Thomas Miller
Duel of Eagles - Peter Townsend
Messengers of the Lost Battalion - Gregory Orfalea

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

WW2 Fiction:

War of the Rats - Daniel Robbins (fictional take on the fighting in Stalingrad, especially a German/Soviet sniper duel; served as the basis for the film "Enemy at the Gates")

Killing Rommel - Steven Pressfield (fictional take on the British Long Range Desert Group/SAS in North Africa)

Both of those are really good, Killing Rommel was my first Steven Pressfield book, got me hooked.

A Writer at War by Vasily Grossman is a pretty good read of the author's experiences as a reporter for the Red Army as they pushed ze Germans back to Berlin.

The Thousand-Mile War by Brian Garfield is a tasty telling of the Aleutian Campaign, where Japan invaded several Alaskan islands. Got that one in a karma like 11 years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Before starting with anything, start with Chester Wilmot's The Struggle for Europe

John Keegan said about him, "Wilmot effectively invented the modern method of writing contemporary military history". Wilmot was an Aussie journalist who covered the war 1st hand. Really great narratie style, tho a tad dry. Thick, heavy book.

Another vote for the Rick Atkinson trio: An Army at Dawn, Day of Battle, and Guns at Last Light

It is primarily a history of the US Army in the North African and European theaters of war. It discusses the serious organizational challenges of the US Army in North Africa, then the hard learning curve in Sicily and Italy, and on to France with the Germans collapsing.

I can also recommend Anthony Beevor, great stories, etc.

Another recommendation is for John Keegan's various books on the subject and his work in general.

David Glantz is another really good historian. His work on the Red Army and the Eastern Front is exceptional.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like nuclear history, check out critical assembly. My dad wrote it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Here are a few of my favorite Eastern Front books:

Fiction:
- "Cross of Iron" - Willi Heinrich
- The Sven Hassel series - though most are Ostfront, others are located elsewhere.

Non fiction, Eastern Front specific:
- German viewpoint:
Paul Carell's "Hitler Moves East" and "Scorched Earth"

- Generalist:
Earl Zeimke's "Moscow to Stalingrad" and "Stalingrad to Berlin"
David Stahel "Kiev 1941"
Harrison Salisbury "The 900 Days - The Siege of Leningrad"

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W E B Grifith, (or Griffin) has a great non fiction series, "The Corps". Marines in WWII.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Herbert Werner's memoir "Iron Coffins" is about his war as a German submarine officer.

Scholars believe he included incidents that didn't happen to him, or the boat he was on, but which did happen to others. So, it isn't a scrupulously accurate historical account, but I also think that the consensus is that it is generally accurate and a good description of the war for German submariners.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Soldat was a really insightful book.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I forgot to include Cornelius Ryan's A Bridge Too Far. (Ryan's The Longest Day and The Last Battle are also good, but I think Beevor's and/or Hasting's books on Normandy and the fall of Berlin are better choices.)

And I've heard that Ian Toll's Pacific War Trilogy is worth a read. Basically an overview of US involvement in the Pacific War. Seems like a good companion to the ETO's Liberation Trilogy.

However, only the first two books have been released so far, so I'm waiting on the final book before starting the trilogy.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
With the Old Breed
Helmet for my Pillow
Guadalcanal Diary
The Winter War

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
Another classic: "Eisenhower's Lieutenants-The Campaigns of France and Germany, 1944-1945"
by Russell F. Weigley.

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post