SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rip Torn has died
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rip Torn has died Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
I guess he's now trapped near the inner circle of thought for good. What a great actor. Always had a presence. RIP, Rip.

Actor Rip Torn

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
RIP Mr. Torn. Frown

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He has been in so many great flicks. RIP

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
He was an old favorite of mine, he had some great roles. RIP

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Love that guy's work. RIP Rip.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
zed is dead

going since "57" , man , he deserves a rest

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed his work.

He was the murderer on a Columbo episode-always something to have on your resume.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
zed is dead
Very good, bendable. Smile

Yeah, I liked his work. When I was young, the 1961 film King of Kings played frequently during Easter and Christmas, so I first saw Mr. Torn when I was a very young. He played Judas in the film.

Just as a couple of examples, I liked him in Walter Hill's Extreme Prejudice. He was a hoot in Men in Black. He was a busy man with 191 film and TV acting credits to his name.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
RIP, Rip.

A good performer. I will miss him.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good actor.
RIP, Rip.

(Didn't he "wander" into a bank all drunk and pass out a few years ago?)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
My favorite scene that I can recall right now was Patches O'Houlihan with a bunch of wrenches. Hilarious.

RIP, Mr. Torn.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Didn't he "wander" into a bank all drunk and pass out a few years ago?)

He was illegally carrying a firearm at the time as well. Said he thought he was breaking into his own home.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really had a distinctive voice, when he spoke, you knew who was speaking.

RIP Mr Torn.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
The first thing I saw him in that I can remember is when he played Col. Fargo in “By Dawns Early Light”

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear this. A very gifted actor and even his name was unique.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Sad news, I liked him.

RIP.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
A distinctive presence.

And for a perhaps dubious honor, wasn't there a moment in a Tom Clancy novel (or one from some similar author) in which a Soviet officer/official mentions Rip Torn as an example of American decadence?

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
RIP Rip. Have a Salty Dog. Drink it, you pussy.

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Rip Torn was often cast as a heavy in his younger days. I remember him as Slade in The Cincinnati Kid:

"I want to see that 'old man' gutted!"

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post