SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Captain Marvel ( mild spoiler )
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Captain Marvel ( mild spoiler ) Login/Join 
Picture of dgrdvm
posted
Ok, I will start this one.

Family went to see this yesterday ( in a fully sold out theater - haven’t seen that in a bit) and I will as I enjoyed it, as I admittedly do for most of this genre.
Good origin story, set in the 90’s so fun retro stuff for those of of a certain age. And fun to see Fury and Colson as pups. This does fill in some time line stuff in the MCU and sets up for the next Avengers movie.
It was good to see a strong female lead for Marvel, and as the father of a daughter I appreciate the message.
And Marvel cat-aliens are badass.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I was never truly interested in this movie and hate that they released it a month before Infinity Wars: Endgame just so we would familiarize ourselves with the character who is heavily rumored to be the one to defeat Thanos. This was before I found out about all the social justice garbage that Brie Larson has been forcing down the throats of interviewers.

I'll see Captain Marvel when she appears in Endgame but not before.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I was never truly interested in this movie and hate that they released it a month before Infinity Wars: Endgame just so we would familiarize ourselves with the character who is heavily rumored to be the one to defeat Thanos. This was before I found out about all the social justice garbage that Brie Larson has been forcing down the throats of interviewers.

I'll see Captain Marvel when she appears in Endgame but not before.

Hit the nail on the head

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Larson has been a HUGE turnoff with her BS. Flush twice: once for her, the other for her movie. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a free pass so, saw it last night, the movie is middle of the road as far as MCU film quality.

The Captain Marvel character isn't fully developed and in many ways, either haphazard or, assumed situational dialogue. There's a number of ques you can pick-up that this was a female written and driven script, lots of subtle touches, which is a departure from the action-packed/sequenced scenes of past comic hero movies. For the Marvel Universe purest, there's some departures/license with regards to the Kree/Skrull storyline. The cat is endearing, plenty of orange cats will get adopted this Spring. Was hoping that Celestials would be more involved or, explained or, a crack at what's to come for Phase-4/5.

The overbearing, strong women/fight the patriarchy attitude of the media and the marketing machine is a turn-off, I like Larson but alas, she's another of the endless legion of liberal actors who need to speak-out.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I will not be contributing to this movie. If production companies want to cast BL in a SJW movie, more power to them. But if those same studios try to pass off their SJW movie as a superhero movie, you could not pay me to see it. Much less charge me.

I will hesitate to even see Endgame in theaters, due to this movie. If it turns out this Mary Sue just shows up and deletes Thanos, I'll write off the MCU for good.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Worst Marvel film I have seen yet.

I am also done with the theaters. Millennials have to check their phones, have to talk, have to fidget, and the rest of us have to deal with their ADD. I’ll seen Endgame at the end of the summer when it hits Blu-Ray.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Saw it with my nieces (wasn't strong enough to refuse them). Loved the Stan Lee tribute as well as his cameo. I did picture the Theme fro "The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly" at one point. Overall I gave it a meh.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it on Sunday and really enjoyed it. I didn't know about any SJW bs that was associated with the movie or Larson. I didn't really see the SJW stuff come through on the screen. Larson did a good job. I thought it was a good story that, if anything, made a bigger deal of her being human than a female. As for as the how well it fits into the MCU, I thought it was great as a casual viewer of the movies that doesn't care a lick about the comics.

I thought effects to make Samuel Jackson younger were outstanding.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
Wife and I saw it this past weekend and liked it. I’d agree with it’s a middle of the road MCU movie. I actually really enjoyed the plot, but the main character’s acting seemed really one dimensional. The character she created reminded me of a cloned/less developed Black Widow type character.

I didn’t and still don’t know anything about her politics or whatever, her portrayal just seemed flat to me. I thought her female pilot friend was excellent though character wise. I really enjoyed the scenes she was in. Jude Law was also meh, and Samuel Jackson is as always awesome. I honestly think he just doesn’t age, they probably just gave him a 90s haircut and let him rip, lol. Again, I did really like the the overall plot, if Jude Law and Brie Larson were replaced with better performances than I think it’d be one of my favorites.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:I didn't really see the SJW stuff come through on the screen.

When she's sparing with Jude Law, he keeps reminding her to keep her emotions in-check and not use her powers. A classic feminists complaint about the patriarchy Roll Eyes Cheers went up from the feminazis in the audience when she smoked him in the following sparing session.
There supposedly another scene where she's sneering and somebody (Fury?) tells her to smile more, and she flashes a F-U look. Another touch-point the feminazis like to point-out when feeling oppressed.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I won't be seeing it. Between Larson and Jackson, I won't see any movie with them in it ever again.

From Samuel L. Jackson interview:

Jackson Interview

Samuel L. Jackson doesn’t care if supporters of President Trump no longer see his movies.

During an interview with Esquire published this week, the veteran actor trashed the president, referring to him with some unflattering expletives.

“This motherf--ker is like ruining the planet and all kinds of other crazy s--t,” the 70-year-old actor said. “And the people think that’s OK. It’s not f--king OK. And if you’re not saying anything, then you’re complicit.”

Sponsored Video

See More

Ad by century21.com

When asked if he was worried about antagonizing Trump voters, the "Avengers" star dismissed concerns: “I know how many motherf--kers hate me. ‘I’m never going to see a Sam Jackson movie again.’ F--k I care? If you never went to another movie I did in my life, I’m not going to lose any money. I already cashed that check. F--k you. Burn up my videotapes. I don’t give a f--k.”

Jackson also slammed critics who say he shouldn’t wade into politics and that he should “stick to acting.”

“No, motherf--ker. I’m a human being that feels a certain way. And some of this s--t does affect me, because if we don’t have health care ... and my relatives get sick, they’re going to call my rich a--,” Jackson continued. “I want them to have health care. I want them to be able to take care of themselves. This is how I feel. And I count to 100 some days before I hit ‘send,’ because I know how that s--t is.”

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

The Academy Award-nominated actor is known for his iconic performances in films like “Pulp Fiction,” “Jurassic Park,“ “Coach Carter” and “Django Unchained.” He has also appeared in numerous film franchises like “Star Wars,” and “The Incredibles,” while also playing Nick Fury in multiple Marvel superhero films. His latest is the box-office smash "Captain Marvel."

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I saw it today. It was markedly better than Black Panther. However, the story is terribly scattered.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:I didn't really see the SJW stuff come through on the screen.

When she's sparing with Jude Law, he keeps reminding her to keep her emotions in-check and not use her powers. A classic feminists complaint about the patriarchy Roll Eyes Cheers went up from the feminazis in the audience when she smoked him in the following sparing session.
There supposedly another scene where she's sneering and somebody (Fury?) tells her to smile more, and she flashes a F-U look. Another touch-point the feminazis like to point-out when feeling oppressed.

LMAO. I throw it back in their faces on dates when I tell them to pay the check. You can’t cherry pick being equals. It’s an all or nothing deal. I’m happy to let the Fems lead, kick butt in action movie, etc, but they need to fucking understand that equal means paying your share, of everything. The mortgage, the utilities, name it, or shut up with all that.

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Saw it today. We thought it was good, but barely scraped into character development. Still a 2 hour movie, so I guess we got our nickel's worth.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Does it get any more 90's cool than Jules Winnfield driving a black Chevy Impala SS?

Kind of a solid, "Meh" from me. Entertaining but not great, the side stories were more interesting than the main plot.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Saw it today. Was pleasantly surprised by it. There were certainly undertones of social justice in certain scenes but they did not kill the more enjoyable parts of the movie.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I thought it was pretty bad compared to other Marvel movies. First the story wasn't great and had too much of SJW elements in it. Second, the fights ranged from not good to bad. Surprisingly, Captain Marvel won best fight scene of the year from MTV Awards........over Captain America fighting Thanos in Endgame. Roll Eyes Yes, that is the truth, more SJW pandering at work. Third, the whole thing about Brie doing her own stunts was a bunch of horseshit. You could tell that for most of the Captain Marvel movie almost all of the actions shots were of her stunt doubles. Her stunt doubles have clearly much more athletic bodies. It was so apparent it was like comparing a crossfit/martial arts trained female with a twice a week yoga female. I mean Captain Marvel/stunt doubles would have shoulders, toned muscular legs and great booty in one scene and then none of those in the next scene where you could tell it was Brie.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saw it today. Was pleasantly surprised by it. There were certainly undertones of social justice in certain scenes but they did not kill the more enjoyable parts of the movie.

That shit was a feminazi's wet dream. Hollywood was tripping over themselves trying to get as much SJW shit in as they could.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:

That shit was a feminazi's wet dream. Hollywood was tripping over themselves trying to get as much SJW shit in as they could.

Disney product, same as the last Star Wars. Disney is the one pushing the agenda to appease millennials.