Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foyle's War Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
British anthology TV series. Set in 1941 Hastings, the detective Foyle solves a different case each 90-minute show despite England being on a full war footing. I had to subscribe to Acorn to get it. The first week was free, but we were hooked. British accents are very understandable, settings are vintage. His son flies a Spitfire, which is cool. Here is an old synopsis: Foyle's War

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cne32507,

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great Brit series. I had, I believe 5 DVD's, two hour program on each disc, but sold them back to Bookman's in Tucson a few years ago.

Foyle was a detective in England during WWII.

I got hooked on it when the series ran on PBS some years ago.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yep, an excellent series.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I thought the peripheral characters were interesting too. From the Vet Sgt Mills to Sam the driver. Well made, and I still own all the DVD's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rainman64,

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw all the episodes. Loved it. Most anything the BBC produces is good.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the other posters. I think it gives a pretty good look at life in England during the war.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Great series, but please edit your thread title Wink

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Great series, but please edit your thread title Wink

Ahhh shit. Sorry about that.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
enjoyed it as well. Most anything the BBC produces is worth watching.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were given BritBox as a gift. There are dozens of British movies, series, documentaries, that we’ve enjoyed on that subscription channel.
Foyle’s War was, at one time, on Netflix, and I binge watched; to me it was a fascinating series.
Blackhorse4

Posts: 87 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Foyle’s War is probably our favorite TV series ever. Michael Kitchen’s portrayal of Foyle is absolutely masterful acting; the arc of the story is that Foyle wanted to serve in intelligence in the War, but had to stay in sleepy little Hastings instead. But lo and behold, all these major events keep happening right there.

The post-war seasons were a little weaker, with the subplot of Sam getting a little tiresome; but the show remained riveting.

Five stars plus.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
One of the best episodes was the one where he figured out the son who helped his father on a fishing boat did it but then let him go help his father take the boat over to Dunkirk ....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen most of the episodes on broadcast. Bought the entire series on DVD a bit ago with plans to go through it again when time permits.

There are some indications that Michael Kitchen asked for his character to have fewer lines - he wanted the character to leave the pauses as mechanisms to elicit responses and confessions from those he was interviewing.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Never heard of this before.
Just watched the first episode.
Pretty good so far!

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Not saying anything is an old investigator trick. People like to talk and will.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Another great British cop series was Between the Lines Anybody watch it? Season two closing scene.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post