SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Trekkies... Show order
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trekkies... Show order Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Do I need to have watched Voyager before I watch Picard? I've seen Next Generation and Deep Space Nine

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Sort of. It helps.

That said Picard is kinda a shit show. I mean it has moments but ...... not sure you’d be missing anything if you skipped it.

Watch Voyager instead not before. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Voyager only relates to Picard because of Seven of Nine; however, if you're familiar with who she is there's no need to watch Voyager. But I do agree with cslinger that you're better off not watching Picard. It's got such a totally different feel than any of the previous Star Trek series--except maybe Discovery, which pretty much no true Trek fan likes.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the new star treks are total shit show. I more or less hate watch discovery but it really does suck. Especially since not only is there man love scenes, there’s tranny love scenes too.
I’d agree, watch voyager instead but it helps to watch it first. But really just watch all of the shows from the 90’s and leave it

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Yeah, the new star treks are total shit show.

My wife and I watched some of the "newer" ST's: Voyager and TNG. DS9 appealed to neither of us.

Has anybody seen anything of the latest Star Trek? We accidentally caught a bit of it after watching something else on CBS. Holy crap! I think we watched all of about a minute of it. It looked absolutely horrible. Cardboard characters. Looked like the script had been written by pre-schoolers. Execrable production quality and CGI. Gene Roddenberry must be rolling over in his grave.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife and I watched some of the "newer" ST's: Voyager and TNG. DS9 appealed to neither of us.

The hell you say. DS9 is the BEST!!

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
To be fair, a lot of Season 1 was like rejected TNG episodes, but Duet is still one of the best Star Trek episodes ever.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Seasons 1-2 of both Next Gen AND DS9 are lame (and I'm a life-log TrekNerd). They both get MCUH better over time.

Voyager is meh. There are some good episodes, but they are few and far between. That being said, Voyager has THE best finale episode of any show ever.

I won't watch Pickard or STD. I don't like the new visuals, or how they changed the Kligons (again!). I also heard of the SJW attitudes in both, so I will not even watch out of curiosity. I have seen sime clips on youtube, and even the 'big wow' moments had me bored.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

The hell you say. DS9 is the BEST!!

Lol! Exact phrase that popped into my head! Big Grin

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I only acknowledge TOS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
To be fair as was said above. First couple seasons of TNG and DS9 are pretty weak sauce.

Garak is, however, if not my favorite damn close to my favorite all time sci fi character.

“My dear doctor....they’re all true.”
“Even the lies?”
“Especially the lies.”

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Looking back, the first couple of seasons were bad; however, when we first watched them--especialy the DS9 seasons--they were terrific. Obviously, the writing improved considerably over the course of each show, so now we think the first seasons were bad.

If you haven't watched any of a certain title, please don't let our opinions dissuade you from watching.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes, Garak was the best character on DS9, especially the episode with Sisko and the Romulan senator.

It took me a while to get past Siskos acting, everyone here said stick with it and I'm not sure it got better but I could look past it. I did enjoy the series, it got much better as it went, but at the end a bit much with the lounge singer in the holodeck.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Go original series....

Posts: 2155 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite new Trek is The Orville. Not kidding.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
100% agree about the Orville.

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Likely will be the only one, but props to Enterprise for their version. The theme song killed it for most, and it was awful, but the show was great IMO.

Also really enjoy The Orville.

If you want more of TOS here you go:

https://www.startrekcontinues.com/

It's actually very good.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometime ago, I read that there may be a spin-off series about Captain Pike and his crew. I didn't care for Discovery but I really liked Anson Mount's Pike. A non sjw series with him might have some potentia!.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Probably the most you'll ever see of Pike is in the JJ Abrams movies.

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
"In the Pale Moonlight" was the episode I believe. Also my favorite...

I love when Garak delivers this line...

"Well, it worked. And you'll get what you want, a war between the Romulans and the Dominion. And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha Quadrant and all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain."

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Yes, Garak was the best character on DS9, especially the episode with Sisko and the Romulan senator.

It took me a while to get past Siskos acting, everyone here said stick with it and I'm not sure it got better but I could look past it. I did enjoy the series, it got much better as it went, but at the end a bit much with the lounge singer in the holodeck.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post