SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Val Kilmer in Tombstone
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Val Kilmer in Tombstone Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
To think that Mickey Rourke was initially approached to play that role in Tombstone?

Yes, an injustice was done. Val Kilmer was overlooked by the Academy for his role as Doc Holliday, in Tombstone. Val didn't even receive a nomination.
The nominees for Best Supporting Actors in 1993 were Gene Hackman, Jaye Davidson, Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino, and David Paynor. Gene Hackman won for his role in "Unforgiven". This list contains some pretty good actors and some good roles, most notably Jack Nicholson for "A Few Good Men". However the rest are forgettable.

Actually those were the nominees for the 1992 movie year. For 1993, the tear Tombstone was released, the supporting actor nominees were Tommie Lee Jones, DiCaprio, Ralph Fuentes, John Malcovich and Pete Postlethwaite. Jones won for 'The Fugitive '.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
A favorite, for sure.

Lately he's on tour performing a one-man play as Mark Twain:

I thought he was battling throat cancer .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but he was here (Colorado) the other day. I was invited but couldn't make it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You are correct Sir, Thank you
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
To think that Mickey Rourke was initially approached to play that role in Tombstone?

Yes, an injustice was done. Val Kilmer was overlooked by the Academy for his role as Doc Holliday, in Tombstone. Val didn't even receive a nomination.
The nominees for Best Supporting Actors in 1993 were Gene Hackman, Jaye Davidson, Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino, and David Paynor. Gene Hackman won for his role in "Unforgiven". This list contains some pretty good actors and some good roles, most notably Jack Nicholson for "A Few Good Men". However the rest are forgettable.

Actually those were the nominees for the 1992 movie year. For 1993, the tear Tombstone was released, the supporting actor nominees were Tommie Lee Jones, DiCaprio, Ralph Fuentes, John Malcovich and Pete Postlethwaite. Jones won for 'The Fugitive '.

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong... I love the movie and I love Kilmers Doc. But Ive always felt it was kind of a caricature... somewhat over the top. I certainly dont know where he got his South Georgia accent. But it doesn't matter because when you have lines like that to deliver you really don't even have to be all that good.

Frederick fuckin' Chopin always made me crack up.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Don't get me wrong... I love the movie and I love Kilmers Doc. But Ive always felt it was kind of a caricature... somewhat over the top.

I don't disagree; he is somewhat over the top, but that's part of what's so enjoyable about his performance. It's a movie, after all, not a documentary.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
A favorite, for sure.

Lately he's on tour performing a one-man play as Mark Twain:

I thought he was battling throat cancer .

He is coming to richmond this fall, a friend is putting together a 'tombstone' trip to go see him do mark twain, for $70 you see the play and can meet n greet him after. due to the cancer and health issues they informed us he does not sign many autographs anymore. Trying to get it to fit in my schedule.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
It is available on Amazon Prime.

As a new Amazon Prime member, woo-hoo! Smile

I've seen the film several times but never, I believe, in its original (not-edited-for-TV) format.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

He is coming to richmond this fall, a friend is putting together a 'tombstone' trip to go see him do mark twain, for $70 you see the play and can meet n greet him after. due to the cancer and health issues they informed us he does not sign many autographs anymore. Trying to get it to fit in my schedule.

He was just here in Indiana at ComicCon, he was signing autographs, but couldn't or wouldn't speak to anyone.

Everyone who bought his autograph was promised a personal email from Mr. Kilmer fwiw

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
That role is what relegated the Oscar to complete irrelevance, much like Obama's awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize did the same for that meaningless contest.

Val quite obviously should have won. Not... Even.... Nominated! INJUSTICE

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
And he'll actually be in Tombstone this summer. Trying to decide if we want to brave the crowds.

https://ktar.com/story/1571745...mbstone-character-2/

Val Kilmer returning to Arizona as ‘Tombstone’ character
SHARE STORY BY ASSOCIATED PRESS | May 13, 2017 @ 6:00 pm

FILE - In this Jan. 9, 2014 file photo, Val Kilmer poses for a portrait in Nashville, Tenn. Kilmer wrote on Reddit April 26, 2017, that he's had "a healing of cancer." (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File)

TOMBSTONE, Ariz. — Val Kilmer, who famously played Doc Holliday in the movie “Tombstone,” is making plans to visit the Arizona Old West town this summer as part of a festival that pays tribute to the gunfighter.

Kilmer announced he would be coming to Arizona in August on Facebook, the Sierra Vista Herald reported Thursday. The visit is part of the Tombstone Lions Club and Tombstone Mustachery’s first Doc Holli-Days event taking place Aug. 12 and 13.

In the movie, the character is based off of John Henry “Doc” Holliday, a dentist known for his part in the legendary shootout at O.K. Corral.

The event is still in the planning stages, Tombstone Mustachery co-owner Sherry Rudd said. “He kind of let the cat out of the bag,” she said, laughing.

Rudd and her husband, Kevin, got the chance to meet Kilmer after the “Cinema Twain” show in Wickenburg last December. Kilmer told the couple of his ideas to sell Doc-inspired artwork in the area, and the group kept in contact.

Ideas for the event took shape in March. By April, Kilmer posted on Facebook that he would be coming.

“It’s been a little crazy for us,” Kevin said. “But it’s definitely going to be fun.”

Event officials have been considered ideas such as a look-a-like contest, poker tournament, a parade, a peach-pie eating contest honoring Holliday’s Georgia roots and an early birthday party for the character who was born Aug. 14.

Kilmer may also be available for meet-and-greets, officials said.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^^ That sounds pretty cool!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you ever loved me, . . . if ever I was your friend. . .

But my favorite is:

Wyatt Earp is my friend.

Thanks for posting that. It's my favorite line from the movie.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
It is available on Amazon Prime.

I have yet to watch it on the 85" with the full Sonos surround setup.
Not having any luck sourcing the Blu Ray locally. May have to settle for streaming it.
Not sure what audio the stream has on Amazon.

Are you sure it is on Amazon Prime? I couldn't find it. Does Prime have differing availability throughout the country?

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
if you ever loved me, . . . if ever I was your friend. . .

But my favorite is:

Wyatt Earp is my friend.

Thanks for posting that. It's my favorite line from the movie.

Agreed. I'm in the same boat.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually read a biography on Doc Holliday on the strong recommendation of my co-worker. Tough slog, but informative. In Tombstone, as in virtually everything Hollywood-related, the storylines are so reduced and merged it is remarkable.

Back to Val, I liked the movie and his deliberately over the top performance very much. Like the movie Aliens, if the movie is on, I'll watch from that point to the end and say "got me again!"

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Kilmer did an excellent job of portraying Doc. I loved his character and the movie.

But...

I still get irked, though, at the one scene in there with the wagon full of women rolling through town with a big sign on it that says "Equal pay for equal work" (or words to that effect...can't remember the exact quote).

There was no reason to put that in the film other than some lefty injecting his or her politics somewhere that it wasn't needed or wanted.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another one is Spartan. He plays a really good spec ops guy in that. Not stating better just as another one to watch IMHO.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I certainly dont know where he got his South Georgia accent. But it doesn't matter because when you have lines like that to deliver you really don't even have to be all that good.

IIRC, wasn't Doc Holliday born in Griffin? That would be more of a North Georgia accent needed. Though his accent was more of a caricature "Southern plantation owner" accent than anything in this movie. But he played it well. Great lines in that flick.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I feel ashamed I've never seen this movie.

I envy you. You get to watch Tombstone for the first time.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post