SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Val Kilmer in Tombstone
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Val Kilmer in Tombstone Login/Join 
posted
I know Tombstone is a favorite around here, and plenty of people have mentioned what a good job Kilmer did. I am in total agreement with that; it's my favorite role of his. He has most of the best scenes and the best lines, and several always come to mind when I think of the movie. But was watching it tonight and was taken again by the deathbed scene. He's really very good, and manages to choke me up every time.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Yes, a good performance IMO.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
if you ever loved me, . . . if ever I was your friend. . .

But my favorite is:

Wyatt Earp is my friend.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3587 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Any time someone tells me Val Kilmer is a terrible actor, I tell them to go watch Tombstone.

Far and away I'd want to be Doc out of any of those characters, TB and all.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Certainly one of his best roles.
I also like him in The Ghost and the Darkness.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I think he was cheated out of an Oscar.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
if you ever loved me, . . . if ever I was your friend. . .

But my favorite is:

Wyatt Earp is my friend.
My favorite too.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
"He's down by the creek...walkin' on water."

Best line in the whole movie. Big Grin

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
To think that Mickey Rourke was initially approached to play that role in Tombstone?

Yes, an injustice was done. Val Kilmer was overlooked by the Academy for his role as Doc Holliday, in Tombstone. Val didn't even receive a nomination.
The nominees for Best Supporting Actors in 1993 were Gene Hackman, Jaye Davidson, Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino, and David Paynor. Gene Hackman won for his role in "Unforgiven". This list contains some pretty good actors and some good roles, most notably Jack Nicholson for "A Few Good Men". However the rest are forgettable.

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with his performance as Doc being amazing. I have enjoyed quite a few movies he has been in including Real Genius, Willow, Top Gun, and The Saint to name a few.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like many on this forum, Tombstone is one of my top movies.

I was staying in a hotel Thursday night up near Quantico and as I was flipping through channels I came across the movie, and caught the death bed scene. I am not a very emotional person, but that scene always gets to me.

A great movie, and one of Val Kilmer's best roles.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I feel ashamed I've never seen this movie.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

As you should. This is something that needs to be remedied immediately.

I have had the Special Edition DVD for years as the DTS Audio tracks adds immensely. I probably should go ahead and pick up the Blu Ray for better video quality. Though I have some DVDs that were reformatted in Blu Ray and the video difference was nominal.

————————————————

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is something that needs to be remedied immediately.

Agreed. Shame on you RAMIUS.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4519 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

I'm with you I'm afraid. Better get it on my list.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
It is available on Amazon Prime.

I have yet to watch it on the 85" with the full Sonos surround setup.
Not having any luck sourcing the Blu Ray locally. May have to settle for streaming it.
Not sure what audio the stream has on Amazon.

————————————————

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I gave this movie to the family that bought my Yukon a couple months ago, for them to watch on the way home (older kids!).

The dad got it when I said it was the second best movie ever made included with the deal.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A favorite, for sure.

Lately he's on tour performing a one-man play as Mark Twain:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post