SIGforum
Midway the 2019 movie

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/9150034064

August 29, 2019, 02:14 PM
Sigmund
Midway the 2019 movie
Release date is Nov 8. I saw this trailer on the big screen the other night, and it has cheap CGI. The movie might be great, but if the CGI is the same poor quality in the final version I'll be very disappointed.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6924650/
August 29, 2019, 08:30 PM
Hound Dog
This is gonna suck.

They seem to have gone 'hollywood' on this one. Crappy love story crammed into the movie (just wait and see). "Dogfights" closer to Star Wars or Independence Day than reality. Zeros straffing a street in Hawaii, 10 feet above the street, with trees 5 feet off each wingtip.

And they start too early. Showing Pearl, the Doolittle Raid, AND Midway? Any ONE of those events would take over 2 hrs to do decently. This one will likely be rushed.

I personally don't care about the quality of the CGI (though the scene with the dive bombers looked like something out of a video game); I'm more concerned with the story. This one looks like another "Pearl Harbor" movie crapfest. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher
August 29, 2019, 08:47 PM
parabellum
Modern day Hollywood and war movies. What a farce.
August 30, 2019, 05:59 AM
Gibb
My wife will go see it, so I will end up going as well.

I can only hope they are showing Pearl Harbor - Doolittle - Midaway as to show the progression of instigating events (Japan was trying to trap/sink the carriers as they saw the full threat they possessed following the Doolittle raid).

I do feel this will end up being more like a 2001's Pearl Harbor instead of the 1970 Tora Tora Tora... but hopefully it won't suck quite as bad.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.
August 30, 2019, 06:10 AM
Gibb
For what it's worth, Netflix has the original US Navy released short movie (18 minutes) from Midway.

I can only imagine what it was like seeing these short films in the theaters...

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.
August 30, 2019, 11:27 AM
erj_pilot
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
My wife will go see it, so I will end up going as well.
Have fun. Go drunk! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
August 30, 2019, 02:25 PM
Strambo
It has Mandy Moore and Woody Harrelson, I'm in! Big Grin

I'll probably see it at some point, maybe, eventually...

quote:
And they start too early. Showing Pearl, the Doolittle Raid, AND Midway? Any ONE of those events would take over 2 hrs to do decently. This one will likely be rushed.

Agreed. Set the stage and tone with vintage footage of those events, even colorized footage then merge it into the movie about Midway. Get some real planes and a director who isn't known for alien invasion films perhaps?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
September 10, 2019, 09:23 PM
Blackmore
quote:
For what it's worth, Netflix has the original US Navy released short movie (18 minutes) from Midway.

I can only imagine what it was like seeing these short films in the theaters...

Thanks.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act
November 08, 2019, 07:19 PM
Hound Dog
So......

Anybody see this yet?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher
November 08, 2019, 07:29 PM
parabellum
The commercials I see for it make this film look like CGI sensory overload.
November 08, 2019, 09:37 PM
2BobTanner
https://www.militarytimes.com/...e-carriers-at-midway

Blockbuster ‘Midway’ sinks faster than Japanese carriers at ... Midway

I believe the headline says all we need to know about it.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken
November 08, 2019, 10:35 PM
parabellum
Yeah, well, like I said- Modern day Hollywood and war films do not mix.
November 09, 2019, 12:16 AM
DrewR
Yeah, they lost me pretty early on when one trailer said something to the effect of "the untold story" about the battle and I sensed Heston and Fonda both stirring in their graves in disgust. I despise modern Hollywood and especially the failed abortions they consider war movies. Whether it is 'Enemy At The Gates', 'Pearl Harbor', or 'Dunkirk' Hollywood today is all flash and no bang.

I am sure that somewhere in a movie executive's office right now there is a script titled 'The Siege of Bastogne' and the story centers around some Red Cross nurse (instead of an Army nurse to protect the sensitivities of the snowflakes) trapped behind German lines following their 1944 offensive and we will follow her trek through the Ardennes back to Bastogne while she cares for wounded soldiers from both sides. Think 'Courage Under Fire' only worse. But they will sell it as a story about the Battle of the Bulge.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.
November 09, 2019, 04:21 AM
sourdough44
I was thinking about going. After checking reviews I decided to pass.

My Son was mentioning this ‘1917’ movie due out in December, WW-1 stuff.

https://www.1917.movie/?
November 09, 2019, 05:41 AM
tk13
quote:

That review was a hoot. The bashing of the movie was hilarious, but the best part was this quote from one of the veterans of the battle who saw the movie at a private screening:

“I couldn’t swim a lick,” he said. “You know, Tennessee got nothing but creeks anyway. ... When I hit the water, I don’t know what I was thinking, to tell you the truth. I was just trying to move up and down. But when I hit that water, I suddenly learned how to swim."
November 09, 2019, 07:24 AM
lastmanstanding
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I was thinking about going. After checking reviews I decided to pass.

My Son was mentioning this ‘1917’ movie due out in December, WW-1 stuff.

https://www.1917.movie/?

Seen both trailers for these movies when I went to see Last Blood a couple weeks ago. Within 3 seconds of the trailer for Midway I knew I would pass on it. I hate the CGI stuff almost as much as Woody Harrelson. The 1917 trailer looked promising though.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton
November 09, 2019, 10:56 AM
corsair
quote:
I do feel this will end up being more like a 2001's Pearl Harbor instead of the 1970 Tora Tora Tora... but hopefully it won't suck quite as bad.

My thoughts precisely, by including the Doolittle raid and trying to tie-it together with Midway, they're going to rush through the scenes and not actually tell the story.

There's a lot of stories from WWII, particularly the Pacific, which still has many untold/uncelebrated tales.
November 09, 2019, 12:44 PM
YooperSigs
The last decent war movie I saw was Hacksaw Ridge.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
November 09, 2019, 03:49 PM
straightshooter1
I didn't finish watching Pearl Harbor (and that at home on my TV) so any comparison pretty much sinks any chance oif me wathcing it,

I do like WW1 movies-and there seems to be so few, so 1917 will probably be on my watch list on TV.

I simply don't go to the theater any more since I am sure my absence will soon bring Hollywood to its knees.

Bob
November 09, 2019, 04:08 PM
Otto Pilot
While I believe I will pass on the movie, it was interesting that in the comments section the opinion of folks who saw the movie is pretty uniformly positive.

Of course that says to me that there are like a lot of idiots taking time to see the movie in the first place and then write a rebuttal, but as is normal there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between reviewer and viewer. But that's never happened before. It will be interesting to see the first weekend's take and how fast it tapers off.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon