SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Midway the 2019 movie

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midway the 2019 movie Login/Join 
posted
Release date is Nov 8. I saw this trailer on the big screen the other night, and it has cheap CGI. The movie might be great, but if the CGI is the same poor quality in the final version I'll be very disappointed.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6924650/

Posts: 13926 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
This is gonna suck.

They seem to have gone 'hollywood' on this one. Crappy love story crammed into the movie (just wait and see). "Dogfights" closer to Star Wars or Independence Day than reality. Zeros straffing a street in Hawaii, 10 feet above the street, with trees 5 feet off each wingtip.

And they start too early. Showing Pearl, the Doolittle Raid, AND Midway? Any ONE of those events would take over 2 hrs to do decently. This one will likely be rushed.

I personally don't care about the quality of the CGI (though the scene with the dive bombers looked like something out of a video game); I'm more concerned with the story. This one looks like another "Pearl Harbor" movie crapfest. . .

No arsenal is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 20470 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Modern day Hollywood and war movies. What a farce.

Posts: 87568 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My wife will go see it, so I will end up going as well.

I can only hope they are showing Pearl Harbor - Doolittle - Midaway as to show the progression of instigating events (Japan was trying to trap/sink the carriers as they saw the full threat they possessed following the Doolittle raid).

I do feel this will end up being more like a 2001's Pearl Harbor instead of the 1970 Tora Tora Tora... but hopefully it won't suck quite as bad.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 2519 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, Netflix has the original US Navy released short movie (18 minutes) from Midway.

I can only imagine what it was like seeing these short films in the theaters...

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 2519 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
My wife will go see it, so I will end up going as well.
Have fun. Go drunk! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 6149 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has Mandy Moore and Woody Harrelson, I'm in! Big Grin

I'll probably see it at some point, maybe, eventually...

quote:
And they start too early. Showing Pearl, the Doolittle Raid, AND Midway? Any ONE of those events would take over 2 hrs to do decently. This one will likely be rushed.

Agreed. Set the stage and tone with vintage footage of those events, even colorized footage then merge it into the movie about Midway. Get some real planes and a director who isn't known for alien invasion films perhaps?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

The world's a dangerous place, we can help! http://portlandfirearmtraining.com/

Posts: 4496 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
For what it's worth, Netflix has the original US Navy released short movie (18 minutes) from Midway.

I can only imagine what it was like seeing these short films in the theaters...

Thanks.

We often meet our destiny on the road we took to avoid it.

Posts: 1778 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post