SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    It's Impossible to Cover Whitney Houston, Right?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's Impossible to Cover Whitney Houston, Right? Login/Join 
Banned
posted

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Very well done. Made me think of this guy. He also sang it at the Trump inaugural ball (or whatever it was called).

Music starts at about 1:24.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/3xh6fxaQkm8?t=84

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
That's the best cover of that song I've ever heard.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Whitney Houston's version is actually a cover of Dolly Parton's original, which I always preferred. Houston technically had a much better voice, but Parton's original has the emotion of the song. And I feel the same way about this cover of the song by John Doe (playing on the jukebox in the film's bar scene)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH4dFoVwqNw

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Whitney Houston's version is actually a cover of Dolly Parton's original, which I always preferred.

I was going to say, but maybe it's impossible to cover Dolly Parton... Big Grin

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whitney Houston's version is actually a cover of Dolly Parton's original, which I always preferred. Houston technically had a much better voice, but Parton's original has the emotion of the song. And I feel the same way about this cover of the song by John Doe (playing on the jukebox in the film's bar scene)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH4dFoVwqNw

The best!! For this song, anyway.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
She's already been covered. Six feet is the standard IIRC.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

And Dolly sang it better the first time!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Dolly sang it better in my view. Houston oversang almost everything. She had a good natural talent, but no idea how to use it. She had poor musicianship. Bad taste in singing.

Supermarket girl is kind of the same - overblown, and overly dramatic.

I know people think all that melisma is "good" singing, but too many use it all the time, and have no sense of when it serves the song. Sometimes restraint is better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
To me, she mimics whitney's voice sounds but she doesn't sing the notes like whitney.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
...but Parton's original has the emotion of the song.

RIP Burt

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whitney Houston's version is actually a cover of Dolly Parton's original, which I always preferred. Houston technically had a much better voice, but Parton's original has the emotion of the song.

Yep. I actually started a thread about it last spring: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/4970050044/p/1

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Lol

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Mind you, she's no Donald Bell-Gam...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Don't let his looks fool you. The guy is no slouch.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
had to be a seafood city. or a metro manila mall.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post