SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Who have pressed a blue, 180-gram vinyl of their classic album, Who's Next
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Who have pressed a blue, 180-gram vinyl of their classic album, Who's Next Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
LINK

" The Who have pressed a blue, 180-gram vinyl of their classic album, Who's Next, and want to give their fans on Spotify exclusive first dibs.

Only 3,500 vinyl are available in this limited-edition pressing. Once they're gone, they won't be pressed in blue again. This exclusive Spotify offer is only available until November 19th or while supplies last. Grab yours before it's gone! "

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I still have a very good condition of Who's Next from the 70s.

Couldn't gleam any other info. I'm always suspicious of new vinyl releases if they use digital tech in remastering.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I still have a very good condition of Who's Next from the 70s.

Couldn't gleam any other info. I'm always suspicious of new vinyl releases if they use digital tech in remastering.

Exactly right. Once digital is in there, you can really hear it. Original pressings are almost always better than re-issues.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I placed an order. Have not bought NEW vinyl for over 40 years.
My old ass ears will probably never tell the difference between a analog recording or a digital.
The Revox is dying to to get some virgin.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Spotify exclusive in blue? I thought their color was green...

I agree about past remastering in digital. Half speed mastering was about as good as it got with original analog. Digital remastering just FUBAR'd up the sound.

I doubt that these days I'll be able to tell the difference anymore given the state of my hearing, but it wasn't that long ago that I still could and it genuinely stank to high hell listening to even the most patiently and carefully created remastering work done in digital. Precise and clean perhaps, but lifeless and devoid of realism. The audio equivalent of attending a clinical trial. These days I'm not as dead set against it, since my hearing cant discriminate those kinds of nuances anymore, and I honestly don't know what the state of the technology is today.

As for vinyl, I still have a couple of tables but I don't use them much anymore; streaming is much more a thing with me given its blatant convenience and my damaged hearing. Limited edition pressings are well and good for the vinyl collector, something I long got over a long time ago, in a universe way far away.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
180g is excellent shit. I was in this business for 25 years. The Germans have bought up the majority of the pressing plants in the world. The plants or machines are not made anymore and haven’t been made for a long time. I’d bet the pressing is excellent. A good friend was set to buy 2 pressing plants/machines from the last business in Australia who had them and got outbid at the last minute by Ze Germans. They know what they are doing and vinyl is seeing a resurgence in Europe. It may be pressed better than it ever has but either way you won’t be wasting money.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:

I agree about past remastering in digital. Half speed mastering was about as good as it got with original analog. Digital remastering just FUBAR'd up the sound.

Much of the past "remastered" 180g releases have all been basically Analog->Digital->Analog. This is why I don't buy new vinyl, for the prices they charge on basically digital remasters, I'd rather get the CD. I have over 8 feet of vinyl albums and I'll stick with my original Who's Next, or Sticky Fingers, etc. I have been buying a lot of re-release remasters of various older stuff, but all on CD.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
There is actually a huge global vinyl revival going on, and one of the largest pressing plants is here in the USA, in Salina Kansas. Chad Kassem owns QRP, Acoustic Sounds, and Analogue Productions, and they are operating at full capacity. I've been a customer of his for 20 years. He is also now the US distributor for SME. Wonderful turntables. My main deck is the SME 20/3.

http://www.qualityrecordpressings.com/

http://store.acousticsounds.co...FEAAYASAAEgLF0vD_BwE

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...of-the-vinyl-revival

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who's Next has always been my favorite Who album, and yes, I still have my original copy and it's in very good condition.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My Wife is in France with my daughter so I have the house to myself. That means I can blow the dust off my stereo system and CRANK IT UP!

First album on the list was my new, blue, Who album. I unwrapped the album and gently placed it on the Revox linear turntable, hit the cue button and cranked the pre-amp volumn up, sat down in the dark living room to await the glory I expected to hear from my first new album in decades.

What I heard was NOT what I expected,right off, a scratch that ran the entire length of side one. My Turntable and Shure cartridge are very forgiving but they could not handle the scratch without stalling the needle.
Even worse than the scratch was the quality of the recording. The WORSE album recording I have ever heard.
I had to convince myself that it was not me or my equipment so I placed a "known" great recording on, a MOFO recording of Supertramps, Crime of the Century.It proved it was NOT me or my stereo, this blue Who album plain out SUCKS!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
It is cool to hear about the new vinyl records these days but I am very pleased with digital these days and spoiled by the convenience having ripped all my CDs to FLAC files using the DAC in my Marantz SA8005 connected to Sonos Connect via optical cable. I have an Ariston RD-11 S belt drive turntable with Grace tone arm that I bought in the early 80s that still works but with original cartridge/needle. I don't know if original cartridge/needle is still working as well as it did back then and don't really want to invest in a new one not knowing where to start. Back then a good cartridge/needle was a weeks pay or more.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I saw this concert tour live. As I recall, they opened with “Baba O’Riley.” Pete Townshend told us that the opening for Baba was recorded and would be the only recorded thing during the whole concert.

Kinda funny, I think, but now my favorite track on that album is Entwhistle’s “My Wife.” I have a few 180 gm reissues. Most prized is “Kiko,” Los Lobos

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
...Kinda funny, I think, but now my favorite track on that album is Entwhistle’s “My Wife.” ...

"Gonna buy a tank and an aeroplane. When she catches up with me won't be no time to explain."

Might be my favorite, too, though that is a tough call on such a great album.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post