SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Manhunt: Unabomber
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manhunt: Unabomber Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted
Just finished this 8-part docu-drama series that aired on Discovery channel.

It was really well done. Highly recommended.

Anyone else see it?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Been watching it. Have the last two episodes on dvr to finish. Good stuff. But wow the obsession he had with that case.

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I've been recording it but haven't yet begun to watch it. Glad to hear it's worthwhile.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I watched it, enjoyed it a lot, very well done.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I liked it and found the series to be very accurate as to how LE managers operate. They're inability to distinguish between good investigative leads and crap is legendary, as is their constant need to look out for their own good, vs the public's interest and supporting the actual investigators who are attempting to solve the crime(s).

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Discovery channel has something other than midgets and reality shows? I might have to check it out.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Eight parts? His brother turned him in. They got very lucky.

They did all this stuff, didn't find him, then they got a phone call. What am I missing?

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! I was thinking the same thing, Para.

Remember "The Wire", when McNulty put the profiler from the FBI (who was proud of his work on the Unabomber case) in his place?

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Hey, that was pretty good. I just finished it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I heard an interview about the show on public radio and it was very interesting.
As I recall, it was his sister-in-law that read the manifesto the FBI had published and recognized the connection. She told her husband, his brother, who contacted authorities.
He is a very high IQ guy and was able to evade the exposing his trail to the law enforcement methods of the time. I'm not sure he would do so well nowadays with cameras everywhere or maybe he would have adapted his methods.
This may not be worthy of 8 episodes but a good two hour show would be enough time.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Excellent series! After watching it, I looked up Kaczynski’s “manifesto” and read it. It’s actually pretty thought provoking (despite being written by a schizophrenic serial killer).

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
His brother did drop a dime on him, but the forensics, especially th language forensics doomed him.
It was a good watch.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the Unasquealer turned him in.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Old Ted was in one of the holding cells at the L&C County Jail in Helena, before they shipped him off. I came in to process an arrest and got to take a look at him.

He and I had talked once maybe 2 or 3 years previous in Lincoln, MT. I was on a motorcycle, waiting out a thunderstorm under the canopy of the Exxon station. He was doing the same.

Had I only known.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
His killing and bombing spree spanned 17 years, not many clues in all that time. LE had very little to go on.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
He and I had talked once maybe 2 or 3 years previous in Lincoln, MT. I was on a motorcycle, waiting out a thunderstorm under the canopy of the Exxon station. He was doing the same.

Had I only known.

Wow! Eek

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Eight parts? His brother turned him in. They got very lucky.

They did all this stuff, didn't find him, then they got a phone call. What am I missing?

If only it was just ONE phone call. The FBI and other law enforcement agencies were dealing with literally thousands of phone calls and self generated leads. Looking through all those haystacks to find the right needle with limited resources is a huge issue that most cop shows fail to note. In this case, they got it right, even though some of the management shortcomings proved embarrassing to the FBI.

The profiler caught major shit for his analysis because it didn’t synch with the conventional theory, but ultimately it was this work that enabled THE offender to be identified, arrested, and convicted. The doubts harbored by the Kazinski family alone could have caused this tip to have been discarded along with so many others that did not involve the actual offender.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post