SIGforum
Manhunt: Unabomber

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/9140014034

September 15, 2017, 07:41 PM
AUTiger89
Manhunt: Unabomber
Just finished this 8-part docu-drama series that aired on Discovery channel.

It was really well done. Highly recommended.

Anyone else see it?

Phone's ringing, Dude.
September 16, 2017, 12:29 AM
scot818
Been watching it. Have the last two episodes on dvr to finish. Good stuff. But wow the obsession he had with that case.
September 16, 2017, 03:42 AM
FiveFiveSixFan
I've been recording it but haven't yet begun to watch it. Glad to hear it's worthwhile.
September 16, 2017, 05:21 PM
njauto
I watched it, enjoyed it a lot, very well done.
September 19, 2017, 06:03 PM
pulicords
I liked it and found the series to be very accurate as to how LE managers operate. They're inability to distinguish between good investigative leads and crap is legendary, as is their constant need to look out for their own good, vs the public's interest and supporting the actual investigators who are attempting to solve the crime(s).

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
September 19, 2017, 07:03 PM
RAMIUS
Discovery channel has something other than midgets and reality shows? I might have to check it out.
September 19, 2017, 07:07 PM
parabellum
Eight parts? His brother turned him in. They got very lucky.

They did all this stuff, didn't find him, then they got a phone call. What am I missing?
September 19, 2017, 10:02 PM
mesabi
Ha! I was thinking the same thing, Para.

Remember "The Wire", when McNulty put the profiler from the FBI (who was proud of his work on the Unabomber case) in his place?
September 21, 2017, 09:26 PM
46and2
Hey, that was pretty good. I just finished it. Thanks for the heads-up.
September 22, 2017, 08:54 AM
220-9er
I heard an interview about the show on public radio and it was very interesting.
As I recall, it was his sister-in-law that read the manifesto the FBI had published and recognized the connection. She told her husband, his brother, who contacted authorities.
He is a very high IQ guy and was able to evade the exposing his trail to the law enforcement methods of the time. I'm not sure he would do so well nowadays with cameras everywhere or maybe he would have adapted his methods.
This may not be worthy of 8 episodes but a good two hour show would be enough time.

December 02, 2017, 08:47 PM
G-Man
Excellent series! After watching it, I looked up Kaczynski’s “manifesto” and read it. It’s actually pretty thought provoking (despite being written by a schizophrenic serial killer).
December 03, 2017, 04:47 PM
Poacher
His brother did drop a dime on him, but the forensics, especially th language forensics doomed him.
It was a good watch.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt
December 03, 2017, 11:03 PM
Texas Bob C.
Yeah, the Unasquealer turned him in.
December 04, 2017, 08:12 PM
FN in MT
Old Ted was in one of the holding cells at the L&C County Jail in Helena, before they shipped him off. I came in to process an arrest and got to take a look at him.

He and I had talked once maybe 2 or 3 years previous in Lincoln, MT. I was on a motorcycle, waiting out a thunderstorm under the canopy of the Exxon station. He was doing the same.

Had I only known.
December 05, 2017, 04:17 PM
heathtx
His killing and bombing spree spanned 17 years, not many clues in all that time. LE had very little to go on.
December 05, 2017, 09:32 PM
Edmond
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
He and I had talked once maybe 2 or 3 years previous in Lincoln, MT. I was on a motorcycle, waiting out a thunderstorm under the canopy of the Exxon station. He was doing the same.

Had I only known.

Wow! Eek

December 06, 2017, 11:44 AM
pulicords
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Eight parts? His brother turned him in. They got very lucky.

They did all this stuff, didn't find him, then they got a phone call. What am I missing?

If only it was just ONE phone call. The FBI and other law enforcement agencies were dealing with literally thousands of phone calls and self generated leads. Looking through all those haystacks to find the right needle with limited resources is a huge issue that most cop shows fail to note. In this case, they got it right, even though some of the management shortcomings proved embarrassing to the FBI.

The profiler caught major shit for his analysis because it didn’t synch with the conventional theory, but ultimately it was this work that enabled THE offender to be identified, arrested, and convicted. The doubts harbored by the Kazinski family alone could have caused this tip to have been discarded along with so many others that did not involve the actual offender.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."