SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    DeadWood Movie On DVD......I Had No Idea This Got Released
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DeadWood Movie On DVD......I Had No Idea This Got Released Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
SAN FRANCISCO COCKSUCKER!!!!!! Smile

So I remember talk of a movie but had no idea it was released. I threw it in my queue. Does it live up to the series??

Thanks,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its ok. I liked the series much better.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I liked that this movie came out and enjoyed within it as it wrapped up some story lines, but the hard edginess of the series was missing.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
There were parts of the original series that truly made the series great; several characters, several story lines, some of the dialogue and exchanges, even some of the scoring and music choices. But there were a few aspects to it that that I really didn't like as well.

Just before the Great American Shut Down started our local library had a copy of the movie and I checked it out. Unable to return it (or the other stack of DVD check-outs) until recently, I've watched it twice and plan on watching it at least once more.

For me, the movie hits all the highlights of the original series, brings back all the characters (the ones still alive), and completes the character arc development while completing several storlines, it maintained the dialogue, the setting, the costumes, and the music.

I thought the movie was brilliantly done and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Love the series, wished it hadn't ended, thought the movie would never happen, was pleasantly surprised when it did, and - all things considered - am quite pleased with the movie and the wrap up.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Does it live up to the series??
No, not even close. It's a politically correct embarrassment. It should never have been made.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Wow. I thought this was vapor ware.
I’ll have to watch it, disappointment or not.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The movie opens with Calamity Jane on her way to Deadwood to visit her crush, Joanie. She actually says this is the reason why she is making the trip. Then, Jane and Joanie- after a lover's quarrel- are shown kissing. Yeah, that pays homage to the series, doesn't it? That's what the series was about and that's what made the series a success- homosexuality. According to Hollywood, the majority of Earth's human population is homosexual.

Seth Bullock's accent has changed from the correct, sorta neutral accent of a man who was born in Canada and who then ran away to Montana at age 13, as the real Seth Bullock did. All of a sudden, he has this phony Southern (I guess that's what it's supposed to be) accent. It's very distracting. Why Olyphant did that and why the director allowed him to do that is beyond me. This phony accent is most prominent in his last scene with Charlie Utter.

Al Swearengen has turned into an avuncular teddy bear, which is- as we all know- how the real Swearengen was. Roll Eyes

There are some good lines in the film, but, overall, it's a grand disappointment.

Of course you will want to watch the film and I encourage you to do so. It's not a total loss, but, on balance, they should have left it alone.

You want to be further entertained by the series? Here:

The Number of Fucks in Deadwood

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Al......a Teddy Bear.......well ok then. I mean I guess I’m down for Uncle Al and some girl on girl action.....just not what I expect from Deadwood. Smile

I remember reading that thread. Smile. I LOVE everyTime Wu is describing some cocksucker or another.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
An 18 year old Jade Pettyjohn offers to give Al a hummer, and he just sits there and gives her fatherly advice instead. It ain't the old series, not by a damn sight.