SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Stephen Hunter's new book "G-Man" comes out May 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stephen Hunter's new book "G-Man" comes out May 16 Login/Join 
posted
https://www.amazon.com/G-Man-B...g-man+stephen+hunter

From bestselling author and Pulitzer Prize winner Stephen Hunter, the latest episode in the Bob Lee Swagger saga, which finds Bob uncovering his family’s secret tommy gun war with 1930s gangsters like John Dillinger and Baby Face Nelson.

Ryan Philippe currently stars as Bob Lee Swagger on the hit USA Network series Shooter.

1934. The depths of the Depression were marked by an epidemic of bank robberies and the swashbuckling, Tommy-gun-toting outlaws who became household names. John Dillinger. Bonnie and Clyde. Pretty Boy Floyd. Hunting them down was the new U.S. Division of Investigation—soon to become the FBI—which was determined to nab the most dangerous gangster this country has ever produced, a man so violent he scared Al Capone and was booted from the Chicago Mob—Lester Gillis, better known as Baby Face Nelson. To stop him, the Bureau recruited the most talented gunman of the time—Charles Swagger, World War I hero and sheriff of Polk County, Arkansas.

Eighty years later, Charles’s grandson Bob Lee Swagger has finally decided to sell the family homestead, but when the developers begin to tear down the house, they uncover a strongbox hidden in the foundation. Enclosed is an array of memorabilia dating back to 1934—a much-corroded federal lawman’s badge, a .45 automatic preserved in cosmoline, a mysterious gun part, and a cryptic diagram—all belonging to Charles Swagger. Fascinated and puzzled by these newly discovered artifacts, Bob is determined to find out what happened to his grandfather, who died before Bob was born, and why his own father, whom he worshipped, never spoke of Charles. But as he investigates further, Bob learns that someone is following him, that someone is sharing his obsession with finding out what Charles Swagger really left behind.

Alternating between Bob’s present-day search to uncover his grandfather’s legacy and Charles’s relentless pursuit for the nation’s most notorious outlaw in the Midwest of the 1930s, G-Man is a thrilling, action-packed addition to Stephen Hunter’s bestselling Bob Lee Swagger series.

The May issue of American Rifleman has an article by Hunter about the 1934 shootout near Chicago where two FBI agents died, as did their target Baby Face Nelson.

And FWIW, Hunter's daughter Amy works for the NRA-ILA as media liaison.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Seems to be too far in the past to be relevant to today's audience. I tried reading his Jack the Ripper novel and grew bored quickly before quitting. At least Swagger's father was an interesting guy. Hunter should have revisited him first.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have enjoyed every Hunter novel, if for nothing else than he gets guns right. I just checked, and I am first up on the waiting list at the local Library of Congress for this book.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
looking forward to this also. As this new book seems current with the times, Bob Lee must really be getting up in age by now.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
...As this new book seems current with the times, Bob Lee must really be getting up in age by now.

Good point. He was getting old when he became a swordsman (47th Samurai, 2007), since then he's aged in five more books, G-Man will be the 6th.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
...As this new book seems current with the times, Bob Lee must really be getting up in age by now.

Good point. He was getting old when he became a swordsman (47th Samurai, 2007), since then he's aged in five more books, G-Man will be the 6th.

Yes, Hunter is definitely aging him, unlike some authors who artificially age their protagonists.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I didn't read the book on the Kennedy assassination, but have read every other Bob Lee and Earl Swagger novel with great delight. The latest ones perhaps less delight than earlier ones, but I look forward to this one.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post