SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ivan Drago vs. Mason the line Dixon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ivan Drago vs. Mason the line Dixon Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
There isn't a lot online about this potential matchup. No youtube video etc.

Yes, Drago lost to Rocky, but as a power puncher who is 16 years younger than Rocky if he'd been put in the ring instead of Rocky in the last movie who would have won?

Rocky had more heart, more to avenge, more to fight for in Rocky IV than Drago. Drago, though undefeated was young.

I think he'd still retain enough power to take Dixon with the right punch.

With the suffering he's had since losing to Rocky I think he'd have enough fire to focus, endure and get the job done.

Rocky: The Ultimate Guide is considered the holy grail of Rocky books to accompany the movies. According to the Rocky Wikia page, the guide says that Drago was unable to fight after his loss to Balboa due to the USSR's restrictions on turning professional. After the Soviet Union falls, Drago goes on to post a 14–1 record with every victory being a knockout. He never fought for a major title or competed against any other top boxers due to promotional politics.

Having not aged to the same point as Rocky I think Drago gets it done over Dixon.

Thoughts?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
At this point, wouldn't it make more sense to schedule Drago's son to fight Mason Dixon? Kind of a consolation bout between the guys who lost to Adonis Creed?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
That's a very good point.

I would go so far as to say that either Drago, boxing in place of Rocky against Dixon would win.

Viktor would make it in less than 3. Ivan would have to bide his time, but drop Dixon as well. Depending on the opening it could be as fast, or take longer. His experience would keep him from punching himself to exhaustion as Viktor did against Adonis.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’m just waiting for Rocky to fight a match from the wheelchair against another old man in a wheelchair.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I’m just waiting for Rocky to fight a match from the wheelchair against another old man in a wheelchair.

They are rumoring another Rocky movie separate from Creed. I do really hope that that does not happen. The baton has been passed, and should not be taken back.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Creed 2 was very good and touches on some of this.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

They are rumoring another Rocky movie separate from Creed. I do really hope that that does not happen. The baton has been passed, and should not be taken back.

Rumor is he will mentor an illegal immigrant this time

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post