SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Audible.com - worth it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Audible.com - worth it? Login/Join 
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
I think it's worth every penny personally. But it depends on how much you use it. I go through close to a book a week, though even at one book a month it'd still be worth it for me.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I used to be a huge reader, for years now though what I read is technical manuals and information.

What appeals to me about audiobooks is actually who does the narration. I just can't quite decide if it's worth the monthly fee.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I used to be a huge reader, for years now though what I read is technical manuals and information.

What appeals to me about audiobooks is actually who does the narration. I just can't quite decide if it's worth the monthly fee.

I subscribed for years and listens to tons of books when I was on the road a lot more. Worth it back then, but I cancelled a while back because I have trouble just keeping up with a handful of podcasts I really enjoy these days. Regarding the narration, you can listen to a sample before downloading to see if the narrator is going to be good for you. Side note: If you haven't read The Martian or seen the Matt Damon movie, I would highly recommend the audiobook. That is the one book that I think I actually enjoyed more because I was listening instead of reading it myself. Narrator was superb.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
R.C. Bray is a fantastic narrator. His work on Craig Alanson’s Expeditionary Force series is outstanding.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2385 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Luke danielS, george guidell among many other narrators.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I listen to audiobooks nearly every day. So I love Audible.

There's an unlisted membership option called the "Silver Tier". It's 1 credit every 2 months, rather than 1 credit per month, and only costs $7.50/month. If you don't listen to a lot of audiobooks, you have already accumulated a large audiobook library that you're working through, and/or you like to listen to really long 30+ hour audiobooks frequently, then this Silver membership may be a better deal. You have to contact Audible customer service and specifically request this membership.

Audible also frequently has sales and deals where you can get 2 or 3 books for 1 credit. That really helps stretch your credits.

You can also simply buy books outright for money, rather than spending credits. That's often a better deal for cheaper books. I spend my credits on $20/$30/$40 audiobooks, and buy $5/$10 audiobooks outright. This makes your $15 monthly membership fee go further.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I’ve been an audible lister for years. I’m no longer able to read as much as I’d like, sadly it puts me to sleep if I go to long, that and my eyes aren’t near what they used to be.

I easily get my money’s worth out of it. I’ll use the one credit per month on books that are normally more than $15. The best bargains and hidden gems you may not normally get are in the “Daily Deal”, usually $1.99 - $3.99.

There are some turds, sometimes because of the book, sometimes the narrator and sometimes both. The good news is they do allow a refund once a month if you don’t like it. They don’t make that easy to find, each time I’ve dine it I’ve had to google the process because I couldn’t find it anywhere on their site. Because of this I’ve not used it as much as I should have.

Favorite narrators are
Scott Brick
Ray Porter
I’ll listen to everything I can by the previous two.
R.C. Bray
George Guidall (except as Mitch Rapp on the most recent books, too old)
Bronson Pinchot on some
Will Patton
Dick Hill

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
You get a free book every month as part of the subscription. You can buy additional credits cheaper than that.

I've been using them for several years, no problem.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
R.C. Bray is a fantastic narrator. His work on Craig Alanson’s Expeditionary Force series is outstanding.

Agreed! Bronson Pinchot also does a really good job.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Lou Diamond Phillips narrated one or two of the Tom Clancy books I listened to way back when and did a fantastic job too.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post