SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Audible.com - worth it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Audible.com - worth it? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Does anyone use and enjoy audible.com?

I'm interested in audiobooks, particularly for the car. Not sure if it's worth $15 a month.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I had it for a while. I thought it was a good deal if you liked listening to books rather than reading them. I’m in the last camp and prefer to read so I cancelled it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used audio books since the first ipod days. I have 1000 titles from those days on my hard drive. In 2007 i moved to audible. I have over 900 titles on audible. I go through 9-12 books a month. I a listening to a book as i drop my daughter off at school. I buy 24 credits at a time. Comes out to 10 bucks a book. Yeah you can get them from a library. I just dont.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I use audible on my commutes from PA to VA once a week.

I am not sure $15 a month is worth the cost. It gets you 1 credit a month. Depending on how much you listen you can grind through a book in much less than a month.

Audible is definitely worth it if you bargain shop. They often run 2 books for 1 credit deals and sometimes offer reduced membership fee deals.

2 years ago they offered 1 yr for $99. Black Friday last year they offered 3 mo/6.99 per month. I will shop the deals, build up a library and then cancel my membership until a new deal come along or I run out of material.

A few things to note. If you have credits banked when you cancel you will lose the credits so make sure you use all your credits before canceling. Once you buy you always have acess to the material whether you are an active member or not.

Audible is also producing some original material that is free if you are an active member. I listened to a cool Alien story that was about 4 hours long and had the production values of a radio play. Sound effects, music, etc. That was a free download for active members.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
As part of my amazon prime account. I think I get 1 credit a month for free on Audible.

At least that's what I've observed. So if you have Prime you may want to check into it.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Sadly not true. You need a separate subscription for Audible.

quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
As part of my amazon prime account. I think I get 1 credit a month for free on Audible.

At least that's what I've observed. So if you have Prime you may want to check into it.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I'm with you; not worth it. I subscribed for several years. They cut it from 2 credits/month to 1 credit and I quit. Now, if I commuted...

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Monthly is one option. You can buy a yearly or two year membership and get your credits all at once. Plus the cost per credit goes down.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Had Audible for a couple of months and did enjoy it. However, I discovered "North Texas Libraries" offers free audio books downloadable just like Audible. While the offering is not near as expansive as Audible's, it's pretty impressive with a good selection of current titles. You might check for such a service in your state/area.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I drive a lot and Audible is a nice companion.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I listen to audio books daily, but I borrow them through my county library via the Overdrive app. Totally free, can borrow four books at a time and no limit on how many I listen to. All you need isnanlibrary card

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I prefer reading to listening, but being that I drive a lot for work, I end up listening to way more books than I would ever be able to take the time to read. I like Audible quite a bit. Lots of titles to choose from. I recommend it.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Totally worth it. I got into audio books when I was commuting to Boston and have continued even after getting a job with a very short commute. I find I listen to them walking the dog, during yardwork and anytime I am in the car. The $15 / month is actually usually less than the cost of a book you get with the monthly credit.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I love to read, but my eyes have taken a major downturn and smaller type just pains me. I probably listen to three or four audio books a week, but from various free sources.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is absolutely worth it to me. I listen anytime I am in the car. The daily commute alone is about 45 minutes of listening.

Audio books put reading for pleasure back into my life, years ago. I don't have time to read when I get home, and after reading all day at work, I wouldn't be inclined to settle in with a book anyway. With audio books, I can enjoy plenty of good "reads" with no loss of productivity.

Audible has high production standards, an excellent selection of books, the price is quite good compared to buying them, they have periodic deals, and they offer free original content monthly (like the "Alien" story in the style of a radio show, that a previous post mentioned).

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Hmmm this makes me wonder. I have three "books" on Audible. My first free one for signing up and two I bought. I don't THINK I'm paying a monthly fee.. I sure as hell better not be! Big Grin

Two of the books have pretty much changed my life for the better. (health wise) I'm so glad I got them as audio books, because I would have really struggled to stay with the one and probably wouldn't have finished it. I wouldn't have given the second one a moments thought.

As audio books I've been through them many times now and frequently listen to them.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I did the higher tier sub for several months. I accumulated quite a few books that I listen to on the way to work (50 min drive) . For me, I love them. I resub when I need more. I buy books in a s scifi series with each being 40 to 50 hours long.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I like audible. I listen to nonfiction during an hour commute.

Some of my favorite titles

1453 The Holy War for Constantinople
Hue 1968
Dark Alliance The CIA, & Contras
Grant
Mind Hunter
Rise and Kill First

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You say you're interested in these, it's worth a try as long as it's not a long term commitment.

I love to read, as does the missus. She also likes listening to books in the car or on walks. I just can not do it. A podcast I can, and do all the time now that I'm commuting. But books just don't flow for me for some reason.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
My family and I enjoy it a lot. I listen to the books on commute, my wife likes to listen to books rather than read them, my kids like to listen before bedtime.

I guess it depends on whether a) you listen to a lot of books, b) like the interface (Audible is easy to use and I've found a lot of free sites aren't), c) and will actually use it, its worth it. You can always quit if you'd like to try it or try a free site.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post