Find
Notify
Tools

A Quiet Place Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
Fantastic. Lives up to all of the hype.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Good news; I liked the concept and was hoping it wasn't going to be just another "alien attack" movie.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Just saw it with the wife this afternoon. What a great movie. I mean I really enjoyed it. First new movie I've seen in awhile that didn't illicit groans or witness over the top action sequence with excessive CGI. Great flick!

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Krasinski is going to be a big name in film when it's all said and done.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Short. I liked it well enough. My wife may have been holding her breath a time or two.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
SLIGHT SPOILER

Went and saw it tonight, creative story line, entertaining.
The only problem is why didn't they just shoot the creatures when they first showed up?
Wouldn't that have been the normal course of action?

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Saw it! Hint, if your wife or girlfriend has long fingernails, wear long sleeves!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
** spoiler **

i'm sure they were glad that the aliens didn't take their electrical sockets.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
SLIGHT SPOILER

Went and saw it tonight, creative story line, entertaining.
The only problem is why didn't they just shoot the creatures when they first showed up?
Wouldn't that have been the normal course of action?

Creatures are armored.

Loud noises bring more creatures to you. If you tried to shoot one, you'd be overwhelmed before you could get away.

Shooting, point blank, into its open mouth, seemed to be the last ditch option. There's no guarantee you'd get a kill shot though the armor, and then you'd be swarmed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it this weekend. I found it just ok. Too many cheap jump scares and not enough truly tense moments. I did enjoy the tense moments that it did have, however.

The creatures reminded me of the Clickers from The Last of Us a little bit.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I also saw it this weekend. My wife found it intense, I found it entertaining enough (though a bit high on the sudden-jump meter and too low on the genuine scare meter), though have to admit that there were too many obvious questions that would have ruined the requisite suspension of disbelief had they been considered...sometimes it's best to just not think about it too much and instead sit back and be entertained. I thought John Krasinski and real-life wife Emily Blunt had -- not surprisingly -- good chemistry and both did a great job in their roles.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Spoilers -

- How the hell do they power everything with electricity? Security cameras, lights, radios?
- Why the hell didn't they just shoot them in the first place? That 12 gauge to the face worked wonders. Turning on the "high frequency noisemaker" suddenly makes them susceptible to gun shots? I don't get it.
- It was pin drop quiet in the theater for 90 minutes straight. Minus a few gasps and groans. Never been in a theater like that before.
- It was OK. 3 out of 5 stars. Saw it for the hype, left disappointed. Not all that great, honestly.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Spoilers.

Shooting was a last resort. It attracts others. They appear to be very fast, and mostly armored. If you shot at one, you would basically be counting down the moments before you are overwhelmed by others, which you may or may not be able to hit in the unarmored mouth/face area.

Having the radio frequency disruptor now makes it possible to stun them and get clean kill shots. It also acts as a repellent and area denial, so you can avoid getting overwhelmed by others.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it, could have used a few more encounters with the creatures though.

SPOILERS...

As to the shoot it armor plates, but they open for the advanced ear canal and to gather sound waves, then it becomes a weakness.

Solar for electricity is plausible, even if it real obvious. What I couldn’t get,y head around is why would you bring a newborn child into that situation? Definite death sentence for kid, parents, or both.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Spoilers.

Wife and I saw it and really liked it. I too was wondering about the electricity and wife was wondering about not getting birth control pills at the pharmacy but hey it was a movie and baby added element to the plot. Too bad they did not have a .50 rifle around though as armor or no armor that should have done the job.

Movie did extremely well at box office and a prequel might be cool to see.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Spoilers:

quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
What I couldn’t get,y head around is why would you bring a newborn child into that situation? Definite death sentence for kid, parents, or both.

That's the practical answer for someone in a normal apocalypse movie where things are baaaaad.

But here's one of the reasons why I like this movie. It's not about a bunch of aliens fucking shit up and humans getting our shit together to fight back.

Nope. It's about a family that's already well adapted to living past the fall of mankind. They've created a home and a happy life, they play games, they eat well, they go about their day, and the Dad is handing down skills to his children. They intend to go on living, and part of living is having babies.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I went to see it today and we loved it. A nice original story.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Great movie.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I don’t get why you don’t park a truck with Motörhead blasting in the radio and a tactical nuke in the back somewhere

I enjoyed it but some of the obvious stupidity drove me a little nuts

Still, it was worth my seeing

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Saw it, loved it. Krasinski wrote the screenplay, directed, and starred. Impressive

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post