Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Vs Ferrari Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Still good the 2nd time. 15 minute technical delay, luckily before the previews.

Dolby Cinema & a theater that was only about 25% full.

Glad I read this. Dolby Cinema is basically Dolby Vision (Dolby’s version of HDR) + Atmos sound. I have both at home (not big $ either) so if they were playing this in the Dolby Cinema theater, that means the 4k disc will be Dolby Vision and Atmos. Damn good news, can’t wait to see it on disc in a couple of months. Glad so many + reviews here. Thanks.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Still good the 2nd time. 15 minute technical delay, luckily before the previews.

Glad I read this. Dolby Cinema is basically Dolby Vision (Dolby’s version of HDR) + Atmos sound. I have both at home (not big $ either) so if they were playing this in the Dolby Cinema theater, that means the 4k disc will be Dolby Vision and Atmos. Damn good news, can’t wait to see it on disc in a couple of months. Glad so many + reviews here. Thanks.

I look forward to finally getting my media room done one of these days.
Movies like this & Rush are a definite to break it in.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

This was a $6k panel when it came out. Steal at this price. Best LED panel ever made imo, no burn in risk. Dolby Vision.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XB...-Smart/dp/B01N1VMTBE
Atmos can be done pretty inexpensive also. Speakers/subs there are always steals. Only thing that is painful ($)is the AVR to run it. AVS Forum will have the deals. I bought most of my stuff way under cost.

I just couldn’t deal with the morons and their phones in the theater any longer and did mine in April (it’s a 15X13 bedroom). It was 2 years straight of going to the theater on the regular with phone interruptions every single film. I would have liked to go see this film and Joker, and Ad Astra in the theater but the picture quality and sound is now better at home. Just couldn’t take discourteous people any longer. Some films people would bring in their pizzas, appetizers, and when all that was done it was phone time. Straight ADD. Why anyone wants to pay $17 or whatever for the brand new film, another $20 on snacks, gasoline to get there, your free time, etc, then spend all that money and surf your phone, it just escapes me. Good news is the films hit disc now in 90 days. I rent the 4k discs for $2.79 delivered to the mail box. Praise God.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, who is a good "name" actor that would be a good fit for Carrol Shelby? I can't really think of one at the moment...

Tommy Lee Jones maybe?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
But, who is a good "name" actor that would be a good fit for Carrol Shelby? I can't really think of one at the moment...

Tommy Lee Jones maybe?

Barry Pepper?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11760 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This was a $6k panel when it came out. Steal at this price. Best LED panel ever made imo, no burn in risk. Dolby Vision.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XB...-Smart/dp/B01N1VMTBE
Atmos can be done pretty inexpensive also. Speakers/subs there are always steals. Only thing that is painful ($)is the AVR to run it. AVS Forum will have the deals. I bought most of my stuff way under cost.

I just couldn’t deal with the morons and their phones in the theater any longer and did mine in April (it’s a 15X13 bedroom). It was 2 years straight of going to the theater on the regular with phone interruptions every single film. I would have liked to go see this film and Joker, and Ad Astra in the theater but the picture quality and sound is now better at home. Just couldn’t take discourteous people any longer. Some films people would bring in their pizzas, appetizers, and when all that was done it was phone time. Straight ADD. Why anyone wants to pay $17 or whatever for the brand new film, another $20 on snacks, gasoline to get there, your free time, etc, then spend all that money and surf your phone, it just escapes me. Good news is the films hit disc now in 90 days. I rent the 4k discs for $2.79 delivered to the mail box. Praise God.

I have a dedicated, tiered media room. Probably going to do a projector on a 100" or so screen.
It's currently being used as storage for my in-laws as the unpack their house since moving here from CA.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Watched this with my wife and youngest son Friday night.

My father in law was a diesel mechanic and loved cars. We figure he is shaking hands with the greats like Carol Shelby.

I found the history to be good, and Christian Bales acting to be great.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife, who has zero interest in car racing, and I watched it on DVD last night and we both thought it was excellent. Too bad this movie didn't win the Oscar.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5155 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
My wife, who has zero interest in car racing, and I watched it on DVD last night and we both thought it was excellent. Too bad this movie didn't win the Oscar.

While my daughter is "into" cars, she's not really. She likes the fast ones but knows very little other than they are fast and look cool. My wife, no interest whatsoever. Both thoroughly enjoyed this great movie. Actually the only movie recently that none of us grabbed our phones to fiddle around on while watching.

Posts: 2831 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
It has been a while since I saw a movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. Bale, as always, didn't disappoint on this one.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:

While my daughter is "into" cars, she's not really. She likes the fast ones but knows very little other than they are fast and look cool. My wife, no interest whatsoever. Both thoroughly enjoyed this great movie. Actually the only movie recently that none of us grabbed our phones to fiddle around on while watching.

My wife thoroughly enjoyed both Rush and Ford v Ferrari. She's more recently gotten in to F1, since we've attended a couple races in Austin.
I was actually surprised that it was her that encouraged us to see the latter in the theater (didn't take much to convince me).

My coworker's wife, on the other hand, was beyond bored with Ford v Ferrari.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Finally got a chance to watch it, DVR'd from HBO, thought it was well done and that the actors caught the essence of Miles and Carroll as well.

I know it's "Ford vs Ferrari" and the battle of two manufacturing companies, score to settle, or perhaps the iconic rise of Carroll Shelby, but it also clearly was a story of Ken Miles, his crazy life, obsessive personality, and amazing talent....

In the end Carroll should have told Ford to have the other cars slow down and let Ken catch them and then cross the line, assuring Kens win, and the photo of all three cars together.

Kept it on the DVR, will watch it again...

As to having another actor play Shelby, remember it's set in 1964-66, he was 43 years old at the time of the story....

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the video.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the movie. It brought back a lot of memories from my youth and interest in sports car racing. I thought Damon did a nice job. You really have to separate actors life choices from their acting ability. Tom Cruise can HALO jump for realism for a movie and still be a strange person. Bale did a great job.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good all-around flick for most viewers; I had a hard time hearing, then seeing Damon trying to pull-off Shelby's Texas accent/twang. Besides that, they didn't over-act or come off as trying too hard.

Caitriona Balfe can more than hold her own on the screen, I see her as a brunette Charlize Theron; watching Outlander she can give that range of emotion without having to utter a line.

With NASCAR stepping on its dick with the Wallace/Garage issue, perhaps the American auto racing interests can shift back to international competitions, would like to see the endurance races return to their prior prominence: Sebring, LeMans, Spa, Brno, etc.. There was a time when ABC's Wide, Wide World of Sports would feature all these races.

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Pretty entertaining movie. This is one that would be better at the theater with good sound

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

Tommy Lee Jones maybe?

Barry Pepper?

Claude Akins except he passed in 1994.

Posts: 7449 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Pretty entertaining movie. This is one that would be better at the theater with good sound

Saw it twice with Atmos sound. Pretty amazing.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Good all-around flick for most viewers; I had a hard time hearing, then seeing Damon trying to pull-off Shelby's Texas accent/twang. Besides that, they didn't over-act or come off as trying too hard.

Caitriona Balfe can more than hold her own on the screen, I see her as a brunette Charlize Theron; watching Outlander she can give that range of emotion without having to utter a line.

With NASCAR stepping on its dick with the Wallace/Garage issue, perhaps the American auto racing interests can shift back to international competitions, would like to see the endurance races return to their prior prominence: Sebring, LeMans, Spa, Brno, etc.. There was a time when ABC's Wide, Wide World of Sports would feature all these races.

+1

I've seen most of this movie, keep catching it in the middle or towards the end,

need to take the time and restart it,

I lilke what I have seen

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is one that would be better at the theater with good sound

It was. We don't got to a lot of theater movies but this was one we made sure to do so.

Watched 24 Hour War this weekend. Also really good, with lots of original footage which was neat.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post