New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Vs Ferrari Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My name's Carrol Shelby and I make race cars!

Really enjoyed as did my gearhead wife. I knew Ken died in testing but had forgotten it was actually with Shelby. A shame, all around.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
The movie just reminded me that most of my racing heroes are from years past. The drivers that could drive any car in any series and still be competitive. It's just something that you don't see anymore. I truly miss the drivers like Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti, AJ Foyt, and Parnelli Jones.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Probably going to see it a 2nd time tonight with a few guys.

Pushing for the Dolby cinema near us vs one of the cheaper options around.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
One of the things that was pointed out as a result of modern standards being applied to period movies was the total and complete lack of smoking in the movie.

Virtually everyone back then would have had a cigarette in their hand in every scene but you see none.

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Still good the 2nd time. 15 minute technical delay, luckily before the previews.

Dolby Cinema & a theater that was only about 25% full.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
PASig - the Ford guys were smoking up a storm in the offices weren't they?

I just attributed the lack of smoking at races to, well, gasoline. Even back then I think drivers and crew weren't wandering around the garages and paddocks smoking. Drinking maybe, but not smoking.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
"Mahtt DayyMun"! Big Grin

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Awesome movie! My wife was hesitant to see it but even she really enjoyed it. I might not like Matt Damon’s politics but he can certainly put on a good acting performance and this movie was definitely one of them. Christian Bale was masterful, as he usually is. Just a great movie!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Wife and I just got back from seeing it, good movie, been a while since a good car movie!

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Another doc worth checking out is Shelby American. It’s on Netflix and also produced by Adam Carolla if I’m not mistaken.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
Another doc worth checking out is Shelby American. It’s on Netflix and also produced by Adam Carolla if I’m not mistaken.

Just added to my watch list

posted Hide Post
My 16 year old son was on top of the release date and we saw it during my parenting week last Wednesday since he didn't have school. We had previously watched the documentaries on Prime or Netflix more than once. The first movie he saw in the theater around age 3 was "Cars" so racing has always been a thing.

Damon did better than I expected, Bale was outstanding. As a former Ford engineer, I thought the worst casting decisions were for Iacocca and Henry the Deuce, especially since neither was played by a big name.

But, who is a good "name" actor that would be a good fit for Carrol Shelby? I can't really think of one at the moment...

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it today and thought it was an excellent movie and well done. A good mix of racing scenes and off the race track scenes. The movie flowed really well and the Lemans race was well done. Also a real treat were all of the period cars in the film.....I though Damon did a great job as Carroll Shelby. As did the actor who played Ken Miles. Those were the days, when the drivers were drivers and made the race car...….It's definitely a movie where it shines at the Movie Theathres with the much larger screen.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I saw it today and thought it was an excellent movie and well done. A good mix of racing scenes and off the race track scenes. The movie flowed really well and the Lemans race was well done. Also a real treat were all of the period cars in the film.....I though Damon did a great job as Carroll Shelby. As did the actor who played Ken Miles. Those were the days, when the drivers were drivers and made the race car...….It's definitely a movie where it shines at the Movie Theathres with the much larger screen.

More so than the big screen, excellent audio (Dolby) was worth it more than IMAX IMO.

Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
quote:

I watched it yesterday. It was very good. I wonder how the two movies match up.

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
quote:

I watched it yesterday. It was very good. I wonder how the two movies match up.

I watched Shelby American last night. While it was very good, the movies are both totally different. There were no action scenes in Shelby American for the most part, some pictures and a few small old original videos. SHelby American was more like a documentary on how Shelby got going, the technical behind the scenes, the real info behind the races...the cars......his entire life......etc....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hmm: Ford v Ferrari Vol 2?
I made the comment both times I saw the movis, that I wished they'd gone into the next 3 years/wins more than a footnote at the end.

https://www.motorsport.com/lem...film-sequel/4605994/

A few spoilers ahead
More at the article linked above.

quote:

But endings are often just the beginning, especially in Hollywood. In his exclusive interview with our David Malsher, Bale thought Le Mans ’66 was “one of the best scripts I’ve ever read” when he first saw it in 2011. Well, Christian, although you’re out of the casting frame for the sequel for obvious reasons, how about this plotline…

Following Miles’s death, the J-Car project is scrapped in favor of a new GT40, the Mk IV. designed and built (unlike the ’66 winner) in the United States. The seven-litre V8 engined machine first goes head-to-head with Ferrari’s latest V12-powered 330 P4 at the Daytona 24 Hours. Humbled by the Le Mans ’66 defeat, Enzo Ferrari gives technical director Mauro Forghieri free rein – and key to the project is a new gearbox built in-house and Firestone tires. The message is clear: “Do what it takes to beat Ford!”

Ferrari tests at Daytona for a week, but Enzo – acutely aware that Ford would have spies present – gives strict instructions not to break Miles’s lap record set a year previously. However, the new P4 is such a dramatic improvement, it laps way faster, and upon the team’s return to Italy, Ferrari fires team boss Eugenio Dragoni!

posted Hide Post
I think one of the understated performances in this movie was the supporting part played by Caitriona Balfe, who played the wife of Miles.

I had never seen her before (and have since found out that she is the star in the series Outlander).

I've read several reviews of her performance. One read that she played all the stereotypical things, but most of the others showed just how much of a partner she was to her husband and supporting his dream. Watch the scene where she was driving the station wagon. I loved the end of that one when he told her how much they were offering him for the job.

Contrary to what you find in most actors, she wasn't playing a part - she WAS the part!

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Balfe fit the role well, IMO (without knowing anything about the actual Mrs Miles).

Thought that most of the 'supporting' cast was well put. Il Commendatore was well cast & at a quick glace was a quite good resemblance.

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
^^^
Yeah. Remo Girone is a well know Italian actor. He did a great job as Enzo Ferrari.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post