SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Leonard Cohen Documentary
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leonard Cohen Documentary Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted
I have to admit I know very little about Leonard Cohen. I did know he was a poet/singer/songwriter but never paid any attention to him or was even exposed to him much. I now have new found respect for him.
On the Pluto TV channel, yes,, I’m touting Pluto again, they have recorded live music on one of their channels. The channel is Live Music Replay.
Lots of recorded concerts.
The concert about Cohen is called ‘Leonard Cohen-I’m your Man. It has a lot of very good musicians doing copies of his songs. Also at the end, U2 plays backup band to Cohen as he sings one of his songs. It’s by no means a Rock concert, but more like a spoken word/folk music concert.
The one musician I was familiar with is Rufus Wainright. Remember his father, Louden Wainright III did the Dead Skunk song. I heard him on an interview on WMMS when Rufus was born. He wrote a song about his son called ‘Rufus is a Tit Man.’ Anyways, Rufus is a very talented musician and singer. He does an excellent job on the songs he does. So does Nick Cave and everyone else also.
If you want to watch something different, this is it. I’ve watched parts of it twice.
It’s hard to see very far ahead as Pluto only lists shows a couple hrs ahead of when they play. Right now they are showing the 35th Anniversary Yes concert-Songs from Tsongas
Enjoy.

Posts: 11147 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Yes, Yes, kkina,, excellent song by LC. Rufus does this in the concert. Very well done.
Do you know who does that version? Pretty close to what RW did.
The I’m your Man song was well done also.
The song ‘Suzanne’ was familiar as I bet most of you have heard it covered by someone.

Posts: 11147 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Suzanne was one of the first songs I learned on guitar. Haunting riff.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Yes, Yes, kkina,, excellent song by LC. Rufus does this in the concert. Very well done.
Do you know who does that version? Pretty close to what RW did.

John Cale.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Leonard Cohen was a true artist. Even at the end when his voice was totally shot he was releasing work that was powerful. It was basically spoken word set to music, but powerful stuff. I'm a big fan.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Looks like they just released a new documentary, HALLELUJAH: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song. Here's the trailer. I had no idea he was into spiritualism and Zen and stuff, but it hardly surprises me.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Suzanne was one of the first songs I learned on guitar. Haunting riff.

For sure... she takes you down to the river and feeds you tea and oranges that come all the way from china.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post