SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Under rated detective shows.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Under rated detective shows. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
We've got a thread on the worst, how about the under rated? I found a 13 episode run on Netflix called The Chicago Code with Jason Clarke, Jennifer Beals, and Delroy Lindo. It was surprisingly good. Produced by Shawn Ryan (The Shield). It aired on Fox in 2010 for 13 episodes. I really thought it was pretty good considering all the crap that is out there, and wish it had survived. I think that it is just another one of the good ones that can't compete with reality TV because it is so cheap to make.

Your favorite under rated cop/detective shows?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Luther, a BBC detective show starring Idris Alba. It's available through Netflix.

(I don't know if it qualifies as "underrated", but it's at a minimum "relatively unknown", at least in the US.)

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack Taylor on Netflix. About an Irish PI. Pretty good.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Killing

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Luther, a BBC detective show starring Idris Alba. It's available through Netflix.

(I don't know if it qualifies as "underrated", but it's at a minimum "relatively unknown", at least in the US.)

it is both unknown by many, and underrated,

one of the best shows out there, ,

another would be Life On Mars/Ashes to Ashes (LoM is available in the US, A2A is not, )

excellent show that happens to be police related,

be sure to watch the UK version, NOT the US version, (which sucks big ones)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The US Version of Life on Mars had so much potential, and that cast... but it failed.

Also, I suspect many won't like it, but I really enjoyed The Unusuals, with Jeremy Renner and several other familiar faces. There are only 11 episodes, and it's more for younger folks, but I liked its mix of humor, action, music, and drama.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Republic of Doyle.

A not quite a comedy not quite a drama show out of Canadia about a father & son PI firm. It's not the best but far from the worst.

And I'll second Jack Taylor series. Hope they continue making more of them.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Commish
Vera
Wallander (the English version...and he carries a Sig)
Father Brown

Posts: 700 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
The Commish
Vera
Wallander (the English version...and he carries a Sig)
Father Brown

I had forgotten about Wallander, excellent series,

can be a bit moody,

just starting Broadchurch last night, too early to tell if it belongs here or not

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
I liked Wallander as well, Hinterland and DCI Banks are good also.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buddy Faro (starring Dennis Farina)
Due South
Ellery Queen

Posts: 700 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barney Miller

I'm not a Detective, but I've been on and around the floor enough to know that, although it's a TV show for our collective enjoyment, the personalities of the Detectives are pretty much spot on.

Still, one of the BEST and most accurate shows portraying police / detectives is The Wire. I don't think it was under rated, I was just real late to the party to watch it.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Homicide: Life n the Street.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Homicide: Life n the Street.

I agree. Critics liked it, but it didn't get a huge audience. It was good and had a fabulous cast.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
May not actually be in the TV detective/cop show genre, but I always liked “The Equalizer” with Edward Woodward.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
May not actually be in the TV detective/cop show genre, but I always liked “The Equalizer” with Edward Woodward.

It started my irrational love of Jaguars. Not sure I should love him or hate him for that. Big Grin

I like many already mentioned. I nominate Shetland for inclusion. Get it from Netflix.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
another is Wire in the Blood,
not sure if it is available for streaming, I watched it via disc from Netflix,

excellent UK cop/profiler drama,

it can be a bit dark, but overall an excellent show

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Hill street blues. My Uncle was a det. in Detroit and he couldn't watch it because it was "like being at work."

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ragnar
posted Hide Post
My wife and I loved Keen Eddie. Was only on one season "03-04". Always loved the morning interaction between Eddie and Ms. Moneypenny.

Live every day as if it is your last, for one day you’re sure to be right

Posts: 752 | Location: Historic Southpark, Dayton Ohio | Registered: October 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
...“The Equalizer” with Edward Woodward.

It started my irrational love of Jaguars. Not sure I should love him or hate him for that... Big Grin

I knew all about Jaguar's poor reputation for reliability, but if Ford had owned them when The Equalizer was on, I swear I would have bought one! I thought about it, but just couldn't bring myself to buy one.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post