SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "Barbarians" Fun Netflix watch, especially with subtitles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Barbarians" Fun Netflix watch, especially with subtitles Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I binge-watched "Barbarians" yesterday. Not too shabby, especially watching with subtitles. Barbarians speak German (and it was neat being able to understand some of it, a refresher from my active duty days) and the Romans were speaking (I think) Latin.

Six 1-hour episodes dramatizing the backstory of Arminius and the battle of Teutoburg Forest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AllenInAR,

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Enjoyed the first couple of episodes so far.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15220 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I went the opposite way, if I never heard German being spoken again it would be too soon. In my MOS over there I worked with them a lot so I heard it all day every day and I got really sick of it

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That's next on my To Watch list, once I finish Blood of Zeus.

Netflix has been killing it lately with their German-produced content. Dark, Babylon Berlin, Generation War, etc. All great. I've heard Charité is good too.

PS: It'd probably be best to put the title of the show in the title of the thread, so we don't end up with multiple Barbarians threads. (Also because it's a lot more descriptive than just "fun Netflix watch"...)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Netflix has been killing it lately with their German-produced content. Dark, Babylon Berlin, Generation War, etc. All great. I've heard Charité is good too.

I really enjoyed Babylon Berlin and also Dogs of Berlin. Barbarians sounds interesting so I've put it on my list.

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I guess I went the opposite way, if I never heard German being spoken again it would be too soon. In my MOS over there I worked with them a lot so I heard it all day every day and I got really sick of it

I started out watching the dubbed version since I was doing stuff on the laptop, but it was just too cheesy sounding.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it was okay imo

production value was very good / costumes / effects, etc

little too much 'GIRL POWER!' for me but Netflix is run by a bunch of SJW champions so you are always going to get a double dose of that Roll Eyes

definitely seen worse shows -- but it could have been better

the main female character is perhaps the most beautiful young actress I have seen in 20+ years

i give it 7 rds out of a lib-neutered 10 rd magazine -- mainly for the female beauty, epic battles and solid overall production value

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
2 episodes in; like it so far.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Entertaining, just getting into it.

While the Battle of Teutogburg Forest is celebrated, it was the annihilation of the tribes afterwards and hero rise of Germanicus that set the tone of the region.

Update: Finished the s.1, overall not bad, entertaining. The female-warrior SJW stuff got toned-down after the first episode. The actress who plays Thesnulda is quite stunning, very attractive. The last two episodes her role increases, history does show she has a more prominent role, I don't believe she goes full Lagertha though. I understand s.2 is supposed to either get made or, already done just waiting to get the North America release. Teutoberg Forest is the high-water mark for the Germanic tribes, it was their Little Big Horn. While it halted further Roman advancement and settlement, the battle sets up the eventual genocide and destruction of many of those tribes as retaliation over the next 10-15 years. Over 8 legions are dispatched to the territory north of the Rhine to deliver Roman justice, recover the eagles (standard) and free prisoners.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Wasn’t Maximus the one who defeated the barbarians in his final campaign? Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
If Netflix is doing this well with their German content maybe they should try their hand at remaking "Springtime for Hitler". Wink

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post