SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Help with a sci-fi book title
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with a sci-fi book title Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
It’s an older book, I thought L Ron Hubbard, but I can’t find it based on author.
Starts off with a guy walking into a bar. He buys a pack of marijuana cigarettes (legalized years ago)out of a machine at the back.
He sets his car to auto pilot on his way home.
Later he is accused of a crime he didn’t commit, and jumps a ship headed off world.

At one point he is on a prison planet. The prisoners grow grain for Earth. The planet’s orbit is wonky, and the whole group must move from one hemisphere to the other yearly, or they burn up. One yeR, the harvest ships don’t come and they start their trek late, which causes difficulty.

Later he ends up on a planet where literally everything tries to kill humans. He must train for reflexes with a sidearm up his sleeve.

You’d think I could remember the name or the author with all that I remember of the storyline...

Posts: 6303 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Harry Harrison is the author - let me think about the title.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O.K. - one of the plots sounds like "Death World" by Harry Harrison.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Apparently it is Harry Harrison and his “To the Stars” series. It has been a LONG time since I read it, so it seems I may be mashing together a few of his books.
But thank you, squint, for priming the memory pump.

Posts: 6303 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post