SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Is Jim Carrey an actor or a character who graces many movies with his mania?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Jim Carrey an actor or a character who graces many movies with his mania? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Seeing him in Dick and Jane, I am reminded of Bruce Almighty, the Mask, Liar Liar, etc. Regardless of his comic genius and energy, I think he is playing a single character again and again.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
A few actors are guilty of playing slight variations of the same persona across a wide range of movies. I see it in Brad Pitt and Nicholas Cage, especially. Some would say Tom Cruise. Mirielle Enos might fit in that category, but I've only seen her in The Killing and Sabotage.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
A few actors are guilty of playing slight variations of the same persona across a wide range of movies. I see it in Brad Pitt and Nicholas Cage, especially. Some would say Tom Cruise. Mirielle Enos might fit in that category, but I've only seen her in The Killing and Sabotage.
I agree with all on your list except Mirielle Enos. The first time I took notice of her was in Big Love. She played twins in that series, and were very different than her later characters.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Seeing him in Dick and Jane, I am reminded of Bruce Almighty, the Mask, Liar Liar, etc. Regardless of his comic genius and energy, I think he is playing a single character again and again.

Yep, brain-rape!

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i feel like this about will smith now. its gotten almost annoying.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont forget that John Wayne got really good at playing John Wayne .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Jim Carey isn't playing the same guy/himself in The Truman Show or The Number 23 or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

And +1 about Mirielle Enos and Big Love.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Jim Carey isn't playing the same guy/himself in The Truman Show or The Number 23 or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

And +1 about Mirielle Enos and Big Love.

or the Majestic,

as far as the same character, the one that comes to mind for me is Marky Mark,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Carrey can act (Eternal Sunshine) - but often plays Jim Carrey.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Two words, Jack Nicholson. A one note symphony, but what a note it is.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You could make a huge list... some people are loved, yet are the same in every role. Others hated for it. What the difference is I do not know.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
23 and Eternal Sunshine were pretty stinking good, as far as Jim Carrey was concerned anyway.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
He'll always be Fire Marshal Bill when i see him.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carrey is best when he plays a semi-serious/dramatic roles. When it's comedic, it's the same Jim Carrey. George Clooney is the direct opposite, he's best at comedic roles and crap playing dramatic roles.

John Wayne
Tom Cruise
Nicholas Cage
Jennifer Anniston
Jude Law
Jada Pinkett
Will Smith

...every movie, they all play the same character, themselves.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Jackie Chan can be included in the list.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Johnny Depp has played some parts very well and showed very differnt charactures, as has Adam Sandler in at least one movie that he is not comedic. (Reign Over Me)

Billy Bob Thorton has the ability to change it up as well.

Just a few I can think of.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Will Ferrell. I've stopped watching any movies with either of them in it, as I already know what to expect.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Will Ferrell. I've stopped watching any movies with either of them in it, as I already know what to expect.

Try Will Ferrell in "Everything Must Go". Like Carey, Ferrell has the occasional more serious/dramatic role.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Jackie Chan can be included in the list.

I saw an interview where he address this. His thoughts were that maybe someday he would increase his range, but he didn't think his fans were interested in seeing him in different types of roles, so he's sticking to what he does best and what people enjoy seeing from him.

IIRC, he said things like, "...nobody wants to see Jackie Chan kiss the girl..." and "...so maybe someday, "dialogue, dialogue, dialogue," but for now..."

Whether he has the capability to do other characters, who knows? I don't see it as likely, but I've been surprised before.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
You could make a huge list... some people are loved, yet are the same in every role. Others hated for it. What the difference is I do not know.

Jennifer Aniston comes to mind. The only character I've seen her play that was different and interesting and not like herself was in The Good Girl. People seem to like her though.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post