SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Is Jim Carrey an actor or a character who graces many movies with his mania?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Jim Carrey an actor or a character who graces many movies with his mania? Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
A few actors are guilty of playing slight variations of the same persona across a wide range of movies.

Honestly, I think this is true of many if not most actors.

My personal definition of a good actor is someone who can be himself very naturally while performing a scene in front of a camera.

My definition of a great actor is someone who can be someone else very naturally while performing a scene in front of a camera.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
In most of his movies he plays Dick.

A dick.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Bruce Willis played a variation of John McClaine in a lot of different movies before he branched out, and still does that well.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Will Ferrell. I've stopped watching any movies with either of them in it, as I already know what to expect.

Try Will Ferrell in "Everything Must Go". Like Carey, Ferrell has the occasional more serious/dramatic role.

I'll add 'Stranger Than Fiction' to that Ferrell list.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Stranger Than Fiction is fanfuckingtastic.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stranger Than Fiction is probably the only Will Ferrell movie I like.

Add Vince Vaughn to the one note list.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Will Ferrell. I've stopped watching any movies with either of them in it, as I already know what to expect.

Try Will Ferrell in "Everything Must Go". Like Carey, Ferrell has the occasional more serious/dramatic role.

Not a fan of his comedy but I also though Ferrell was ok in Stranger Than Fiction.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmalb:
Stranger Than Fiction is probably the only Will Ferrell movie I like.

Add Vince Vaughn to the one note list.

Vince Vaughn grew on me tremendously once i found out he was a Libertarian.

I'll add Pacino and de niro to the "same guy" list.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler are on my " no fly " list . Can't stomach either one .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of actors/actresses fill the same role presented to us in a new wrapper. I don't think that makes them horrible actors but after the first 100 movies they just start to get old. I think some of Jim Carey's and Will Ferral's movies are hilarious but I don't run out to see a new one because they've both made soooooo many movies that are the same thing in a new wrapper.

And I think Adam Sandler just makes movies now to make out with whatever hot actress he wants to that week because the movies make no sense and always end with a make out scene

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adam Sandler has one really good movie, Spanglish. It's not a comedic role and it's only movie of his i've seen where i felt he wasn't playing the role of Adam Sandler.

I think the only actor that I can think of that doesn't play some variation of the same character most of the time is Daniel Day Lewis. It is amazing how much he can change for a role. You can watch three of his movies back to back and not realize the same actor was in all three.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Daniel Day Lewis is an extraordinary actor, and few who have ever tried can even think of swimming in those waters.

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Gary Oldham. Dang he can act. From Beethoven to evil cop in the professional, to tinker Taylor spy to now Churchill. Frick me amazed
Also I was surprised by Ben Stiler in the secret life of Walter mitty.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:

I think the only actor that I can think of that doesn't play some variation of the same character most of the time is Daniel Day Lewis. It is amazing how much he can change for a role. You can watch three of his movies back to back and not realize the same actor was in all three.

Agree. I was starting to feel that way about Heath Ledger as well.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
This topic is why I have always seen Ned Beatty as being very under rated. Sheesh - he can be anybody!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I thought Adam Sandler's involvement in Hotel Transylvania was top shelf.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tom Hardy also has this ability.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me watching Carrey is like having an itch somewhere I can't scratch.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I thought Adam Sandler's involvement in Hotel Transylvania was top shelf.

quote:
Blah blah blahhh

Smile

I love those two animated films.