Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kong 1933 film Login/Join 
posted
Enjoyable entertainment.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
I still enjoy watching it occasionally. More so than any remake or reboot I have seen. It's a great epic adventure story.

I can imagine how audiences reacted to Kong's first appearance on screen in 1933.

People today may find the jerky stop-motion special effects outdated but to me they are a visual treat, crafted by artist's. I am not a fan of most of the CGI effects I see in modern movies. It's too... shimmery and unfocused.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, not only was it a great adventure story but the effects were amazing for the time. A giant gorilla fighting airplanes on top of the Empire State Building? I bet it blew the audiences minds.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3526 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was the last movie that my wife and I attended before COVID fears caused Governor/Queen Andy Beshear to shut everything down at 8:00 PM March 15 2020.

It was a TCM/Fathom Event. I have been enthralled by this film since I first saw it as a child when I had to stay up late at night to watch as it was shown on a local TV station. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing it for the first time ever on the big screen. I also have imagined what audiences thought of the amazing special effects of that time period. I had read many years ago that there were scenes that were cut out of the film as they were deemed too horrifying for 1933 audiences. One scene (sailors falling off a log bridge into a deep ravine trying to escape Kong and being attacked by huge spiders) was recreated in the 2005 Jack Black sequel.
If King Kong were to be the last movie I ever saw on a movie theater big screen, I would be fine with that outcome!
Just as a side note, there was a thread just a couple days ago about the amazing life of King Kong's producer Merian C. Cooper. The link to an American Thinker article is well worth the click and the time to read it.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People were more receptive to special effects in movies' early days. Did you know that Snow White was so scary when it premiered that a lot of movie theaters had to replace their seats?

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I had the fortune to see it on the big screen,

not in 1933, that was 5 yrs before my Dad was born,,,

when I was in grade school, the theater in the then local mall played Matinee's, and the original played one weekend,

neat movie, I enjoyed it then, and still do

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A giant ape swatting biplanes from the top of the Empire State Building, as iconic as Hollywood imagery gets.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post