SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What sad/death scene in a movie is almost too realistic to watch?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What sad/death scene in a movie is almost too realistic to watch? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I do not include 'horror' type movies because I won't watch those, and they are by design, looking to create these types of scenes. I'm more interested in 'regular' movies....

Three always come immediately to mind for me....

Two come from Saving Private Ryan:
- the beach scene with the wounded soldier calling for his mom

- the ending 'slow stabbing scene'. I have watched this only once, and skip over it when I watch the movie again.

- Mel Gibson being ripped apart in Braveheart

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
The scene in "Lone Survivor" where the team is being decimated...

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Old Yeller.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
That slow stabbing scene in SPR has to be at the top of any list.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
That slow stabbing scene in SPR has to be at the top of any list.

Yeah - I don't watch that.

Makes a great case for working the upper body at least 2x per week.

And knowing how to use your legs to escape an assailant / not get mounted like that...

The Ranger bleeding out from the femoral artery injury in the Blackhawk Down battle is unwatchable for me also.

Which is weird - I work in hospitals / see blood / guts all the time ...

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rkentm:
The scene in "Lone Survivor" where the team is being decimated...

I forgot about that. It reminds me of the Scene in The Rock when the SEALs are whiped out; usually I skip over that part.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The beginning of Up?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Unforgiven, the first cowboy they kill.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The No Man's Land scene in The Water Diviner. One of the actor's realistic cries of pain alone make the scene nearly unbearable to listen to, not to mention the awfulness of the end result of the scenario. (I'm deliberately trying to be vague, to avoid spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.)

It's one of the only films scenes I've seen where someone is realistically crying/wailing/moaning like they're in unbearable pain, not just like an actor who's pretending they're in pain with a generic "Aaaahhh!". Those that have been around someone who's seriously injured know what I'm talking about.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Ranger bleeding out from the femoral artery injury in the Blackhawk Down battle is unwatchable for me also.

I like how some of the descriptions in this thread remind me of other scenes. Recently I rewatched The Grey with Liam Neeson. The scene with the young working bleeding out and Neeson explaining that he was dying, so tough to watch.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Old Yeller.

That's what came first to my mind.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robert Duvall as LAPD officer in "Colors".

Trapped sailors on USS Arizona in "Pearl Harbor"

Most deserving..center mass shot of mountain man/rapist in "Deliverance"

Posts: 203 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
My heart is always heavy watching a soldier of any rank,or service die.

I held my twin brother in my arms when he died,bleeding out from a accident on our family farm.

So for me,to see any person in the military,or any policeman, fireman,who is unselfishly protecting us,die in his service for his fellow man,is a tragedy.

And every man or woman who does die in service to his fellow man is a true hero.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I Am Legend, when he has to kill his GSD

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Three readily come to mind.

The death of Michael Murphy in Lone Survivor.
The deaths of Gary Gordon and Randy Shugart in Black Hawk Down.
The death of John Creasy in Man on Fire.

Why they may not top the realism scale for being gory, I find all of them hard to watch. I choke up a little each time I see them.

Murphy, according to the book, was likely mortally wounded. He still, while under fire, sacrificed himself to save his men. We have those that walk among us that cause us to question our species. Men like LT Murphy show us that good men walk in our presence.

Shugart and Gordon for the same reasons. Both likely knew it was a one way trip. They still elected to go out on their feet instead of watching a guy die that they might could have saved. That friends is the definition of hero. Not some acid head that can throw a football really well.

Creasy is maybe the hardest for me. You had a guy that was fighting demons, without a direction. In learning to love the little girl he righted his ship, and ultimately chose to trade his life for hers. Knowing full well that even if he lived, he would likely face torture. The slow death scene as he is riding in the car never fails to get me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
As above, plus, realistic or not as opinions may be, always choose not to watch John Wayne in "The Cowboys".

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Realistic, the whipping and death of Jesus in the Passion of Christ. Also pretty much all of Schindler's List hut specifically the clearing of the ghetto.

Though while not realistic, the saddest one that always triggers my allergies is Spock in Wrath of Khan. "I have been and always shall be, your friend" Gets me every time right in the feels.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
The beginning of Up?

This is exactly what I thought of.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Magua kills Uncas in "Last of the Mohicans". Magua almost seems upset to have to do it.

William Petersen getting it in "To Live and Die in L.A."

I'd second the death of Duvall at the end of "Colors".

And, of course, Jack at the end of "Titanic"!

Posts: 1698 | Location: USA | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Jesus in POC was almost unbearable, saw it in theaters with most of my SS class, and there were few dry eyes.

The "slow stab" in SL was a scene that got me badly, didn't know it affected anyone else like that. I always hate the guy sitting on the stairs in the following scene.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post